Grado Thrift Store Find, I Need Your Help
May 22, 2018 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

s1mp13m4n

New Head-Fier
hello everyone. I am/was in the market for a quality set of headphones. I am on a fixed income and was saving for something under $100. I was thinking Grado SR60 or SR80. I was in a thrift store today with my mom and aunt. I was in there looking at vinyl as I have a very small collection and a budget 1982 Technics turntable. While in there I found this plan gray bag with velcro on the top. The bag is from a company called The BagMaker. Inside the bag was.....wait for it......a set of Grado headphone. The headphones have ear pads at all and the left speaker cuts in and out if you wiggle the left cable. The headphones are Grado SR225. Also in the bag is the 1/4 to 1/8 Grado adapter and two Grado 1/4 exrension cables. Here comes the fun part. They did not know what they were. To them they were broken headphones. I paid $10 for the lot. Now, how do I fix then and also which ear pads do I buy?

May 22, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 8
Great find, I spent years collecting thrift store vinyl. Thrift store vinyl can have a great selection and be low cost. Looks like there are a wide range of replacement pads, though each choice in pads has an influence on the end sound. I would check the Grado threads here, or simply buy a pair of replacement pads off Amazon.com and run with it.

The Grado threads are going to show how to fix the loose wire. Most likely a super easy fix.

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 8
First, I have been following your story and I am DEEPLY jealous of your find...I've never found any headphones worth buying at a thrift store, let alone $200 Grados!
Second, there are tons of mods out there for these (lot's of threads involving driver swaps for example) so I am almost certain they are not 'glued together' in any significant way that would prevent opening them up.
If it's a loose connection of some kind it is probably a simple re-solder. Even if you have never soldered, I assure you you can do it. I taught myself how to solder after watching one tutorial on youtube and buying an $8.00 Harbor Freight soldering iron. Open them up, take some pictures and post them up, the community will guide you from there.
Even if it's a blown driver, you can buy a new one, replace it and STILL be well under your original $100 budget.
It's all very doable, these are not super complicated headphones.

May 24, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 8
First, I have been following your story and I am DEEPLY jealous of your find...I've never found any headphones worth buying at a thrift store, let alone $200 Grados!
Second, there are tons of mods out there for these (lot's of threads involving driver swaps for example) so I am almost certain they are not 'glued together' in any significant way that would prevent opening them up.
If it's a loose connection of some kind it is probably a simple re-solder. Even if you have never soldered, I assure you you can do it. I taught myself how to solder after watching one tutorial on youtube and buying an $8.00 Harbor Freight soldering iron. Open them up, take some pictures and post them up, the community will guide you from there.
Even if it's a blown driver, you can buy a new one, replace it and STILL be well under your original $100 budget.
It's all very doable, these are not super complicated headphones.

May 24, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 8
I found a YouTube video where you can open up a Grado by slowly using a hair dryer to heat the glue and gently pull them a part.
do it!

May 24, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 8
I found a YouTube video where you can open up a Grado by slowly using a hair dryer to heat the glue and gently pull them a part.
Years ago I thought youtube was a giant wastepile....until I watched a video saving me hours when I was replacing the induction motor assembly on my furnace.

Bern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back