Grado - the way to go?
Sep 4, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are situated in the EU and buy a Grado instead of the (almost similar) Alessandro, you are either rich, uninformed or a pathological metal listener (or all three together)...

...or someone that enjoys the punch, energy, and impact the Grados have over the Alessandros. They do rock, techno, jazz, and pop much better.

Keep an eye out in the FS forums for some used Grados.

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados do rock, techno, jazz, and pop much better.

I agree in respect of rock, but not with the other genres.

Sep 4, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Callas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Timothy, welcome!

Unless you are fixed to Grado lines, looks like Denon D2000 or even D5000 can be a great can for your musical taste! They are closed, elegant simple design with amazing sound! (Great bass!!! not too much, just about right and articulate tones on every level! I own D5000 but D2000. However you can find enough information about both cans that many people says D2000 are as good as D5000 for less price!) I had Grado SR 60, 80, and 325i before. Believe or not, among those headphones, SR 60 was my favorite! I found 325i is somewhat unbalanced, too much characters...but as I research on Grado lines, I really want to try that famous rock n roll SR 225! Oh, by all means it is always the plus to match one of these high end headphones with a proper(?) amp! I just found that you won't be getting a headphone amp...so my final suggestion would be on Grado SR60 OR SR225 if you want to try something that's supposely better??? ---> excuse me for recommending the one that I have not even actually tried on but folks here totally got me on SR 225 so...Anyway~I hope you find the right one and good luck with that~!

Hi Callas, thats alright. I pretty much got recommend the complete prestige series now, ey? I think ill get at least the SR80 though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lacrossebowe8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got them over the 325 because the 325s are heavy (on your head), very aggressive up top, which some love.

The rs-2 is absolutely amazing, but out of your price range. I think the 225 is the best headphone from grado that is not a fortune. The 80 gets you so close, though, you should listen and decide if the extra $100 is worth it. I think it is.

So, either SR80, SR125 or SR225. I think im gonna stay away from the SR325i then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not recommend SR325i to someone who has never heard Grado. At your price range, I'd recommend SR225 or used RS2

Ok, thanks. (Stay away SR325i +1)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf18t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that Denon D2000 could be a good choice in your case. They're good all rounder and should be better value in Europe than Grados. In the this case Alessandros would a better choice as they have a different marketing strategy.

As I wrote, ill be buying in US and have a friend bring them along. Ill look into Alessandro too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpfloridian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the GS1000's and the 125's....got for the 225's if you have the budget. I not you will be happy with the 125's. They ALL have the great resolution; they only improve about 10% up the spectrum as the price increases..yes; a sweet 10%. If you want I will sell you my 125's...drop me a line if you are interested.

Thats honest
icon10.gif
Thanks for your input! So SR80 arent are bad place to 'start' for me then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by japc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should get the Grado SR-80 for a start. But being in Europe that can be a bit hard (I managed to convince a friend that was in a conference in the US to buy them) and much more expensive (thank my friend for that also
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Ill get the same way. Friend of mine will bring them along to Europe. Exchange rate still quite good.

Quote:

If you are situated in the EU and buy a Grado instead of the (almost similar) Alessandro, you are either rich, uninformed or a pathological metal listener (or all three together). An Alessandro also beats a Grado easely when it goes to genre bandwidth.

You get Alessandros exclusively online, the prices are inclusive worldwide shipping. IMO, the MS1 is the sweet spot, you finally end up at 60ish € plus customs.

Note that Grados and Alessandros don't scale as much as other brands, thus the "smaller" models already offer >80% of the highend models (I get propably killed for that statement).

Im not buying them from Europe. A friend from the US will bring them along. Thanks too for your input about the quality of 'smaller' product!

Thanks y'all for your input. I guess I wont be disappointed with any Grado or Alessandro product.

Ill let you know what arrived in hamburg in two weeks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

If you are situated in the EU and buy a Grado instead of the (almost similar) Alessandro, you are either rich, uninformed or a pathological metal listener (or all three together).

Or you can get them from US with minimal fuss as I did and you even win from the still good dolar to euro exchange rate. Still you've got one right, I'm a pathological metal listener
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Quote:

Originally Posted by timothy77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ill get the same way. Friend of mine will bring them along to Europe. Exchange rate still quite good.

That's it
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #20 of 38
I'd say +1 for either SR80 or SR225. SR80 is probably still better in terms of performance/price, in case you're budget-minded. Other benefits to the SR80 is the fact that it comes with 1/8 inch plugs which'll be fine with your ipod. However, since you also mentioned you might take this on the go, shouldn't you also look into some closed cans?

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #21 of 38
Timothy77,
to give you an idea of the lower alessandro vs grado... I just compared sr60s and ms1s with flats, comfies, reversed comfies and bowl pads and came to the conclusion that their major difference is the treble in the sibilance region maybe around 9khz or so. This makes the sr60s win in almost all of the ab tests because they sound more exciting but long term listening is making me gravitate towards the ms1 especially using the bowls(rinsed with conditioner for better bass and comfort)

Sep 6, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #22 of 38
Just wanted to give y'all an update. I decided to go for the SR80. Improvement over the stock ipod phones should be noticable. And I can invest in some more music
jecklinsmile.gif

Again, thanks for your input. Helped me alot to make up my mind.

Sep 6, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Just wanted to give y'all an update. I decided to go for the SR80. Improvement over the stock ipod phones should be noticable. And I can invest in some more music
jecklinsmile.gif

Great. Just let us know how much did you like afterwards
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

jecklinsmile.gif

Nice choice.
smily_headphones1.gif
They sound fantastic right out of an ipod, though I find they need a tad more bass, so I do the electric-taped bowls mod. If you find them bassy enough, use 'em stock, though the mod is fully reversible (in like ten seconds) so you can try it before you decide if you like it or not.

SR80s shocked me by being the first cans I owned in which they sounded nearly perfect without equalization. They're also punchy, fast and aggressive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by japc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great. Just let us know how much did you like afterwards
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh absolutely. I will!

Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR80s shocked me by being the first cans I owned in which they sounded nearly perfect without equalization. They're also punchy, fast and aggressive.
smily_headphones1.gif

I cant wait to be shocked soundwise. Dang, another ten days at least till they in arrive here.
o2smile.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #26 of 38
so, ive received my first proper cans and i must say, i am indeed impressed with the detail im suddenly confronted with. needless to say, i like 'em alot
k701smile.gif

the first lp's, i listened to were:
eric serra . soundtrack the fifth element
eric vedder . soundtrack into the wild
tony bennett . mtv unplugged
... and so forth

got a last question though. since ill be taking the sr80's with me on the go id love to have a little bag for them, for example to put 'em in my travel luggage.
anyone got an idea where i can purchase a bag with corresponding dimensions?

thanks, timothy

Sep 23, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

so, ive received my first proper cans and i must say, i am indeed impressed with the detail im suddenly confronted with. needless to say, i like 'em alot
k701smile.gif

the first lp's, i listened to were:
eric serra . soundtrack the fifth element
eric vedder . soundtrack into the wild
tony bennett . mtv unplugged
... and so forth

got a last question though. since ill be taking the sr80's with me on the go id love to have a little bag for them, for example to put 'em in my travel luggage.
anyone got an idea where i can purchase a bag with corresponding dimensions?

thanks, timothy

Yeah, search for "grado" on eBay; there's a hard case made for them. It'll ship from Taiwan though, so expect it to take awhile before it reaches you

Sep 23, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

jecklinsmile.gif

Excellent choice. I was going to respond with a recommendation for the SR-80's but then I saw this post. Grado's just simply are not for everyone, and the SR-80 is an excellent starting point in the Grado lineup. While a good headphone amp does a lot for the SR-80's, they still sound excellent unamped. That, plus the 3.5mm / 1/8" connector, makes the SR-80's ideal for using with your iPod. Plus, 1/8" -> 1/4" adapters are much more practical (and less bulky) than 1/4" -> 1/8" adapters.

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your SR-80's
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, search for "grado" on eBay; there's a hard case made for them. It'll ship from Taiwan though, so expect it to take awhile before it reaches you

This (tinyurl) is what i could find on ebay. ships from cali only stateside. guess ill ask another favour from my la based friend
icon10.gif

couldnt find any information on gradolabs.com so this is third party product, correct? i dont mind buying this, but if there's an official product, id opt for that instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jersey_emt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent choice. I was going to respond with a recommendation for the SR-80's but then I saw this post. Grado's just simply are not for everyone, and the SR-80 is an excellent starting point in the Grado lineup. While a good headphone amp does a lot for the SR-80's, they still sound excellent unamped. That, plus the 3.5mm / 1/8" connector, makes the SR-80's ideal for using with your iPod. Plus, 1/8" -> 1/4" adapters are much more practical (and less bulky) than 1/4" -> 1/8" adapters.

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your SR-80's
smily_headphones1.gif

i love the sr80s. i suppose at some point i gotta try out an amp and open pandoras box.

Sep 28, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Timothy77,
to give you an idea of the lower alessandro vs grado... I just compared sr60s and ms1s with flats, comfies, reversed comfies and bowl pads and came to the conclusion that their major difference is the treble in the sibilance region maybe around 9khz or so. This makes the sr60s win in almost all of the ab tests because they sound more exciting but long term listening is making me gravitate towards the ms1 especially using the bowls(rinsed with conditioner for better bass and comfort)

In the end, I sold the ms1s and kept the sr60s. I use flats though. Its the best for long term listening although a little dark for critical listening

Users who are viewing this thread

Back