Grado sunflower pad mod
Jul 16, 2016 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

LTSFBH

100+ Head-Fier
Found this simple and inexpensive mod recently, during a recent trip around the interwebs. I don't remember the site, but will post an update once I find it, to give the author credit. The author was a big fan of Grado headphones. At the time he wrote his article, the PS500 was his favorite. His only gripe was the comfort issue. Like him, I find the comfort lacking and have trouble wearing them for extensive listening sessions, which is a problem since I've been listening to a lot of Phish lately! This mod, named after it's resemblance to a sunflower (Or maybe a bumble bee?), is simple, inexpensive, quick, easily reversible and in my opinion has no appreciable effect on the sound signature, other than maybe a bit deeper bass.

Simply take a Sennheiser HD414 pad and cut about 1/4" off the edge. You can do a neater job than I did, but it will be completely hidden so no worries.

Put the trimmed pad on your chosen Grados and then replace the original pad.

I personally think it looks good. The comfort is increased tremendously and so far I like the way it sounds. Just got an 8 disc Phish compilation, so I'll know for sure later tonight!

PS This was done on my SR325e's. I am going to try it on my PS500e's as well.

Jul 18, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 3
This could also help with debris on the driver. I've seen a lot of that on the grado headphones which can attribute to buzzing. Not sure how acoustically transparent that is though. I feel like the foam in front of the driver could cut out the treble that Grado's are famous for. 

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 3
I suppose you could always quarter mod the Senn pads if that seemed to be the case for anyone. I think you would still get the comfory benefit. I personally can't listen to the SR60,80 or 125 for too long. I find them too bright and this might be a good mod if I still had any of those. I've moved on to the 325e and PS500e and have no complaints on the sound signature with this mod. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back