Grado "Street Style"?
Nov 14, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #16 of 30
From what I know, the site is spot on. Early 2006. John mentioned that he was in the final stages of finalizing the design, that the drivers had long been perfected and that it would take 40 days to machine then another 40 or so to produce...so from last I spoke with him which was September? October? Jeepers, I need sleep...anyhow...it meant that it looked like mid-January or something. I'm expecting behind the head bit, definitely open, Grado sound, meant to be driven by an iPod or iPod-like device. Not sure if that means 32 ohms or not, but I'm hoping for like...75 ohms. The iPod LOVES 75 ohms or so. The KSC 35's (60 something ohms) are very very nice with the iPod I own. If the Grado can just match that, I'm so there, and I believe they will surpass them, so I'm going to buy blindly.

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #17 of 30
These are either going to be brilliant, or the goofiest looking things ever. Possibly both...

I wonder how John Grado expects to market these things, especially since he said he didn't like getting caught up in dealing with such companies as Circuit City, etc. (and has virtually no reputation outside of the hi-fi world)?

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #18 of 30
I'm not sure what you mean? Grado had never marketted outside of the regular dealer network/audiophile press and this has served them well for 50 years. They don't need the like of Circuit City wherein most would turn a blind eye to phones costing $600+. Will these best the RS-1's? No one knows as of yet. Are they goofy looking? That is subjective. Are they comfier than the current line? That is again subjective. Do they better the current line, PS-1's included, in sound? No one knows, but I sure want to find out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahambleOn
These are either going to be brilliant, or the goofiest looking things ever. Possibly both...

I wonder how John Grado expects to market these things, especially since he said he didn't like getting caught up in dealing with such companies as Circuit City, etc. (and has virtually no reputation outside of the hi-fi world)?

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #19 of 30
Why would you make headphones intended for portable use that were good enough (and consequently expensive enough) to beat RS-1s? Doesn't make any sense to me. I believe these will be like the SR40s in terms of market and quality, just a different physical design.

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
Why would you make headphones intended for portable use that were good enough (and consequently expensive enough) to beat RS-1s? Doesn't make any sense to me. I believe these will be like the SR40s in terms of market and quality, just a different physical design.

Um, he was trying to make a point that no one knows whats happening.

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahambleOn

BTW, virgin megastores carry Grado. They're sorta biggish.

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill

EDIT...beaten to it...
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #23 of 30
Oh for sure, just making a point. Will they best the RS-1's? Not likely. Will they sound like Grados? Oh yes for sure. I have no doubt. John was very clear about this. They sound like Grados. Will they be SR40-like? I can't say, no one can. I hav enever heard the Sr40's so even after owning the street styles I can't say, but I will be able to compare with the SR60's, 325i's, RS-1's and PS-1's.

I have high hopes, if only that they compete with the KSC 35's and in the end best them. If they can do that at a good price, I'm happy.

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Oh for sure, just making a point. Will they best the RS-1's? Not likely. Will they sound like Grados? Oh yes for sure. I have no doubt. John was very clear about this. They sound like Grados. Will they be SR40-like? I can't say, no one can. I hav enever heard the Sr40's so even after owning the street styles I can't say, but I will be able to compare with the SR60's, 325i's, RS-1's and PS-1's.

I have high hopes, if only that they compete with the KSC 35's and in the end best them. If they can do that at a good price, I'm happy.

I hope so too! My ksc35's are getting pretty beat now...

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

cambride sound works does too... theyre the biggest "retailer" I can think of that carries the other Grados

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #27 of 30
zanth: sorry, my mistake - I thought you were actually suggesting that as a likely outcome
smily_headphones1.gif

I can see the original poster's point, though. Playing in the high-end headphone market is very different from playing in the low-end / 'style' headphone market, and Grado as a company seems a lot better set up for the former than the latter. I hope they manage it well, though, and I'll probably buy a pair if I'm flush...

Nov 14, 2005 at 8:10 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dcon67
Sweet, I can finally get my wife something decent to replace her Sony street style headphones...she won't use anything else regardless of sound quality. Maybe they'll be out in time for Valentines day, nothin says I love you like a new set of cans.
lambda.gif

biggrin.gif

Oh, you mean headphones.

*cough*

Nov 14, 2005 at 11:19 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire
biggrin.gif

Oh, you mean headphones.

*cough*

Actually, nothing says I love myself, like a new set of cans.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I mean headphones.
tongue.gif

*cough*[size=xx-small]men have much to learn[/size]*cough*

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

Ah. I never knew.

And AdamWill is right-- my original point was that most people I know that prefer "street styles" have little to no knowledge of what's actually out there in the headphone world, and many probably just buy the first thing that's cheap, looks good, and has a known brand name stuck on its package-- and Grado not only lacks the aggressive marketing/distribution of some other companies, but it is virtually unknown to a low-end audience.

I'm actually pretty excited about this, but it's a bit dangerous, mostly for the same reasons as the SR-40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back