GRADO STATEMENT 1000 / GS1000 / First Impressions
May 22, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #181 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
Someone said they asked John about it and he said it was to balance out the wood vs the new large pads, or something like that. It doesn't have an sonic purpose. I think they look great from the sides and just a little strange from the front based on photos. It seems in person most people have no issues with the style.

Yeah, aesthetically, they need the extra wood. They would be like 55% foam if not. I love the look of them, however.

Gotta save up like mad

May 30, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #182 of 191
Right out of the box I like them. I'm breaking them in right now. I have done some listing. They are better then I thought they would be. Next to my PS-1 it a close call on which is better sounding. GS 1000 is a lot better to wear for long periods of time. I think it all in which amp you are using on which is better. I find the GS's to need more power to bring out the sound. They will work in low power amp or low gain. One thing I have tried is to use Todd flat pads on them. Then they become a hole different headphone. I like that sound with the flats. GS 1000 seem to be a lot lighter then the PS-1's. So far I believe they are one of my best pairs I have # 108. I love their look it a real nice phone.

May 30, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #183 of 191
Mine are still breaking in. Last night, though, I was listening to them plugged in to a headroom balanced maxxed out home (2006 max modules). The GS-1000s are not balanced and I usually use balanced Senn 650s (Cardas).

The music was classical (Vaughn Williams). The background was black (as it usually is with this amp. It sounded pretty damn good from base to treble, including handling some relatively strident horn passages in the music with aplomb. They're not broken in, they aren't balanced, and I can see that with some orchestral work, I might prefer a more distant soundstage.

Still, they were quite good. In fact, they are good enough for me to wonder, a little, whether a balanced pair would be better all around for this amp than the Senns.

May 30, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #184 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruppin
Mine are still breaking in. Last night, though, I was listening to them plugged in to a headroom balanced maxxed out home (2006 max modules). The GS-1000s are not balanced and I usually use balanced Senn 650s (Cardas).

The music was classical (Vaughn Williams). The background was black (as it usually is with this amp. It sounded pretty damn good from base to treble, including handling some relatively strident horn passages in the music with aplomb. They're not broken in, they aren't balanced, and I can see that with some orchestral work, I might prefer a more distant soundstage.

Still, they were quite good. In fact, they are good enough for me to wonder, a little, whether a balanced pair would be better all around for this amp than the Senns.

Thanks for thse impressions
they're helpful and relevant to me , keep them coming with time

May 31, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #185 of 191
I broke them in for 120 hour of hard rock. I really like the sound I find that I can wear them for hours and not even realize I wearing headphones they are so light. I love the sound it seem to me a little better then the PS-1's a lot more detailed the notes seem to hang in the air longer. The sound stage is the biggest of any Grado I have listen to. I think the only Grado's I have not listen to are the HP's. I was comparing the GS's with my Stax's Omega's and they are close to the nice laid back sound the stat's have. If you use the flat pads from TTVJ they are very loud and the Grado bass is back like the PS-1's have. Nice hard hitting just like being there. I gone between my HR Max and the Raptor and the Raptor seem to really bring out the best in the GS-1000 The guitar notes are amazing they seem to go on forever. Diana Krall voice is at it best the sound seem to right where it should be right in front row. When listening to live in Paris she is humming while playing the piano it is so clear it like being there without buying the plane ticket and waiting in line. I'm a electrostatic fan and these are changing my mine they can be soft and hard if driven loud. Owell that's my 2 cents I couldn't be without them know. Thanks John Grado.

May 31, 2006 at 12:30 PM Post #186 of 191
Do you find that with flats they are warmer and smoother than PS-1's or RS1-'s?

May 31, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #187 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlflow
I gone between my HR Max and the Raptor and the Raptor seem to really bring out the best in the GS-1000 The guitar notes are amazing they seem to go on forever. Diana Krall voice is at it best the sound seem to right where it should be right in front row. When listening to live in Paris she is humming while playing the piano it is so clear it like being there without buying the plane ticket and waiting in line. I'm a electrostatic fan and these are changing my mine they can be soft and hard if driven loud. Owell that's my 2 cents I couldn't be without them know. Thanks John Grado.

I'm glad to hear you find them to be a good match with the Raptor. You are not making the resisting of the purchase any easer
tongue.gif
Thank you for your impressions.

May 31, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #188 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlflow
I broke them in for 120 hour of hard rock. I really like the sound I find that I can wear them for hours and not even realize I wearing headphones they are so light. I love the sound it seem to me a little better then the PS-1's a lot more detailed the notes seem to hang in the air longer. The sound stage is the biggest of any Grado I have listen to. I think the only Grado's I have not listen to are the HP's. I was comparing the GS's with my Stax's Omega's and they are close to the nice laid back sound the stat's have. If you use the flat pads from TTVJ they are very loud and the Grado bass is back like the PS-1's have. Nice hard hitting just like being there. I gone between my HR Max and the Raptor and the Raptor seem to really bring out the best in the GS-1000 The guitar notes are amazing they seem to go on forever. Diana Krall voice is at it best the sound seem to right where it should be right in front row. When listening to live in Paris she is humming while playing the piano it is so clear it like being there without buying the plane ticket and waiting in line. I'm a electrostatic fan and these are changing my mine they can be soft and hard if driven loud. Owell that's my 2 cents I couldn't be without them know. Thanks John Grado.

Thanks for the impressions. I am interested in what amp works best with the GS-1000. This helps.

If you bump your head and decide to sell the Raptor by accident. I live in the Bay Area too and would be happy to buy it before you come back to your senses
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #189 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Thanks for the impressions. I am interested in what amp works best with the GS-1000. This helps.

If you bump your head and decide to sell the Raptor by accident. I live in the Bay Area too and would be happy to buy it before you come back to your senses
biggrin.gif

I'm currently using an RA-1 with it. I think it sounds fine as far as the sound signature but I can tell it's not bringing out the most in these headphones. I have a feeling the soundstage can really open up and the bass could probably go even deeper. I should have a Headamp GS-1 coming today, so I'll see if I'm right.

May 31, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #190 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
I'm currently using an RA-1 with it. I think it sounds fine as far as the sound signature but I can tell it's not bringing out the most in these headphones. I have a feeling the soundstage can really open up and the bass could probably go even deeper. I should have a Headamp GS-1 coming today, so I'll see if I'm right.

I've used the RA-1 too and have the same impression. The synergy is there, but it seems to need a little more power to shine.

Definately, let me know what you think when the GS-1 comes in. I've heard great things about that amp.
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #191 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I've used the RA-1 too and have the same impression. The synergy is there, but it seems to need a little more power to shine.

Definately, let me know what you think when the GS-1 comes in. I've heard great things about that amp.
biggrin.gif

It's weird how I just spent $1000 on the GS1000 but now I'm willing to spend more on a good amp. With the sell of the RS-1 and RA-1, I should come out ahead.

I just felt like I'm waisting the GS1000's full potential using the RA-1. It's sings with the RA-1 but the soundstage doesn't feel like what others are describing. I haven't sold it yet just in case it's somehow a better match than the GS-1. Hopefully I should have it tonight. It's used so I won't need to break it in.

I'd still say the RA-1 is a good choice for the GS1000 if you are looking for a budget amp because it does have synergy and that's important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back