Grado SR80e vs. CAL original
Feb 16, 2015 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jim McC

100+ Head-Fier
Will be used for movies, plugged into my A/V receiver's HP jack. I do not want to buy an amp.

I know they're diferent types of cans, but which would sound better with movies?

I assume the CAL's would have more bass?

Which is more comfortable(clamping pressure)?  This is important because I wear glasses.

Thanks.

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 8
  Will be used for movies, plugged into my A/V receiver's HP jack. I do not want to buy an amp.

I know they're diferent types of cans, but which would sound better with movies?

I assume the CAL's would have more bass?

Which is more comfortable(clamping pressure)?  This is important because I wear glasses.

Thanks.

I've owned the CAL and many different Grados. CAL has a warmer, bassier sound and I think it would be would be better for action-heavy movies and where sound effects are important. Grados will probably be better for very dialogue-heavy films. I find Grados are too detailed and revealing for films myself though. 

Out of the box, the CAL is more comfortable for me. However, Grados can be easily adjusted to get a perfect fit, by bending the headband.

I don't wear glasses, I'm afraid, so can't comment on how this will affect wearing comfort!

Does isolation matter? CAL has decent isolation (it's not fully closed, though, so there is some leakage). Grados don't isolate at all - sound leaks in and, just as importantly, out, so people nearby will hear what you are listening to. 

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 8
Both the Cal 1 and 2 work well out of a ipod or phone. CAL 1and 2 are both low impedance headphones. I am no expert but I think you can at times get an amp that works well with high impedance headphones but not low impedance headphones. Having said that I would think it likely that an av receiver would work well with these headphones. I think the CAL has a nice sound. Never listened to grados.

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #8 of 8
  Thanks. How would you describe the comfort and clamping pressure of the original CAL?

I found the original CAL to be comfortable, with a fairly light clamping pressure. Comfort is subjective, of course, but I am pretty sensitive to clamping.

One other thing to note is that the earpads are slightly smaller than most full size over-ear heaphones, so if you have large ears they might be a tight squeeze!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back