Grado Sr80e Crackle/Click noise - no hair?
Mar 22, 2019 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hellopotato

New Head-Fier
Hi guys! I'm an audiophile as a consumer but not awfully in the know about fixing things.

My partner got me a pair of Grado Sr80e's and I love them - comfy, great sound. I've had them for two weeks tops. The last couple of days, I've heard a crackling/clicking sound while I'm listening to music and walking with them. I can emulate the sound also by jiggling the wires where they meet the ears. I have a cat, so when I read about the hair potential, I was convinced it was that - he has long, light hair that gets literally everywhere.

So, I took off the ear cushions, cleaned them off with my fingers of cat hair, and then sucked the screen behind them a bit to catch any hairs. I did this a couple of times, but still I can hear the intermittent crackling in both ears.

Does anyone know what this could be? If it is hair, am I not attempting to remove it correctly? If not, I appreciate any other ideas on what to do. My options otherwise right now are either sending it to Grado to fix or having my partner exchange it on Amazon, so I want to make sure they're not fixable by me before having to do without them for a bit.

Thank you!

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi guys! I'm an audiophile as a consumer but not awfully in the know about fixing things.

My partner got me a pair of Grado Sr80e's and I love them - comfy, great sound. I've had them for two weeks tops. The last couple of days, I've heard a crackling/clicking sound while I'm listening to music and walking with them. I can emulate the sound also by jiggling the wires where they meet the ears. I have a cat, so when I read about the hair potential, I was convinced it was that - he has long, light hair that gets literally everywhere.

So, I took off the ear cushions, cleaned them off with my fingers of cat hair, and then sucked the screen behind them a bit to catch any hairs. I did this a couple of times, but still I can hear the intermittent crackling in both ears.

Does anyone know what this could be? If it is hair, am I not attempting to remove it correctly? If not, I appreciate any other ideas on what to do. My options otherwise right now are either sending it to Grado to fix or having my partner exchange it on Amazon, so I want to make sure they're not fixable by me before having to do without them for a bit.

Thank you!

My first Grado Sr60 have a similar problem after 3 weeks. I think the problem comes from the cable, maybe it is loose from inside then I try various ways to tackle but nothing possible. So, I start to return and got the new one.

Mar 23, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #3 of 5
Cat fur could not cause the crackle you are describing. This is an electrical issue, due to a loose or damaged connection.

Mar 23, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 5
If it was me I would send them back just to be safe. Could be your source but since you got them on Amazon I would send them back for a new pair and then you will know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back