Grado SR80 wiring
Jul 6, 2020 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

balrog

100+ Head-Fier
I have an older Grado SR80 (1994?) that has no sound from the right channel driver. I have connected it to two different sources that are known to have a working output jack. The problem is only with the right channel, the left side works properly. I tried wiggling the strain relief at the 1/4" plug and at the Y connection. I get no sound at all, not even static or intermittent sound.

Used a hair dryer to open the right earpiece housing. The solder joints where the blue and white wire are attached to the right driver looks to be ok.
Using a multimeter I get continuity when testing the following:

Blue wire at right driver to Sleeve on 1/4" plug
White wire at right driver to Ring on 1/4" plug
Blue wire at right dirver to Tip on 1/4" plug

I do not get continuity when touching the multimeter probes on the white and blue wires at the right driver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 7, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 3
hi, I have the same issue with my left channel on my grado sr60s and did the same thing as you. I thought I was going crazy for a while and kept on soldering and re-soldering the contacts on the driver. I found that I could get sound by pressing down on the contacts but figured that I'd have to somehow glue it down. Haven't done it yet but I hope that this helps.

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 3
hi, I have the same issue with my left channel on my grado sr60s and did the same thing as you. I thought I was going crazy for a while and kept on soldering and re-soldering the contacts on the driver. I found that I could get sound by pressing down on the contacts but figured that I'd have to somehow glue it down. Haven't done it yet but I hope that this helps.
Thanks for the reply, I will give that a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back