Grado SR80 Vs Sennheiser HD555
Mar 2, 2010 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TokyoInSpace

New Head-Fier
I need to know the pros and cons of each, so I can decide which ones to get.
It will be used as a day to day everything pair of cans, having good bass would be nice, but I would also like crisp sound. I listen to all kinds of music, but tend to stick to a lot of breakbeat/house/electro

Mar 3, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TokyoInSpace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but I would also like crisp sound.

SR80

Quote:

I listen to all kinds of music, but tend to stick to a lot of breakbeat/house/electro

HD555

My vote is for the HD555 for better comfort, soundstage, and they are less fatiguing of the two.

Mar 3, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 8
If you can't decide, compromise! The ATH AD700 has the crisp, detail of Grado and the soundstage and comfort of Sennheiser. I find myself listening mainly to my AD700s these days. They can be had for under $100 at amazon and don't require an amp to sound great. However, they don't emphasize the bass, so they might not be what you're looking for.

P.S. Grado and Sennheiser are polar opposites, so picking one might be difficult.

Mar 3, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 8
HD555's for your music tastes. I enjoy mine very much with electronic

Mar 3, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks guys! I guess I will go for the 555's then. Unless there is another headphone that would be able to match in the price and quality range? Except for that pair you already mentioned haha. They are just to ugly for me, sorry. Also, have to take into consideration that it's harder to get some headphones in Canada.

Also, if I get the 555's, would getting the E5 mini headphone amp make any difference?

Mar 3, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TokyoInSpace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys! I guess I will go for the 555's then. Unless there is another headphone that would be able to match in the price and quality range? Except for that pair you already mentioned haha. They are just to ugly for me, sorry. Also, have to take into consideration that it's harder to get some headphones in Canada.

Also, if I get the 555's, would getting the E5 mini headphone amp make any difference?

honestly the e5 didnt make a difference for me with the 555. but apparently some people wholly believe that the e5 is great for the price.

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 8
I also have the E5 with the 555's and have noticed no improvements so far. The 555's sound great even through the iPhone, I've had 'em for over a week, and have not noticed any major difference while using the E5.

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 8
I've hooked my friends 555's up to my receiver from my sound card and it was like a whole new world of sound quality. . .idk about amps, but the receiver did the trick for these at least. . .I'm sure it is not as good as a mid-high to high end true headphone amp. . .but you are talking about some $$$ at that point.

HD555's FTW IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back