Grado sr80 pads compatible with sr60?
Dec 16, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #16 of 16
These are my every day SR 80s.
Grados seem to have very tight tolerances and if you do modify them be carefull to make very small alterations. And try to use similar materials as John Grado did, and you can fine tune them to your taste. If you make radical changes, like removeing the model button you will find it makes a bigger difference than you would expect.
Try taking the pads off entirely and putting the phones on your head, they are very clear, and loud.
Now if you have a cheap set of headsets you can borrow the pads off of put them on, thinner is better, the bass improves, and the treble drops.
If you have done this now put the grado pads over the cheap pads, The bass will be a lot stronger but a bit muffled on the highs, but they get a bit more comfortable.
I did this mod, because it is completely reversable, and cheap.
If you have enough extra cheap pads you can add an additional pad over the outside of the of the grill side of them, this tends to turn down the treble a bit with out taking away from the bass. Again ez to change back, no loss to try.
I've worn mine for hours every day for a couple of years. I've also added screw downs, a UHPLC OFC cord, and a copper based plug. But the point is little things change the Grado sound and make them just a little nicer to wear and listen to.
phones.jpg

phones2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back