grado sr80 leakage
Jan 6, 2009 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ramosa

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

I have read great things about the Grado SR80s--and it appears that they'd be great unamped for jazz. But, of course, I have also read about their lack of isolation (in being open headphones). I have never listened to them, so I'm hoping to get an idea of how much noise leaks out. I will be using them primarily at home, so noise leaking in isn't a problem, but noise leaking out could be.

Thus, I'm hoping to get a feel for how much noise leaks out ... Enough to perturb a person sitting next to you? Enough to perturb a person in the same room?

Any here's a follow-up question: Is the leakage as bad with other open cans, such as Senns?

Pardon such questions. I realize they are subjective, etc.--but thanks for any input.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramosa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello All,

I have read great things about the Grado SR80s--and it appears that they'd be great unamped for jazz. But, of course, I have also read about their lack of isolation (in being open headphones). I have never listened to them, so I'm hoping to get an idea of how much noise leaks out. I will be using them primarily at home, so noise leaking in isn't a problem, but noise leaking out could be.

Thus, I'm hoping to get a feel for how much noise leaks out ... Enough to perturb a person sitting next to you? Enough to perturb a person in the same room?

Pardon such questions. I realize they are subjective, etc.--but thanks for any input.

They are going to a a noisy pain... any person in the room will hear them.

Jazz does sound excellent through them though.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 16
It depends entirely on how loud you listen.

If you listen at lower levels like me, others won't notice. But if you have hearing loss and crank it up, people will get mad.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends entirely on how loud you listen.

If you listen at lower levels like me, others won't notice. But if you have hearing loss and crank it up, people will get mad.

Yes, I might have exaggerated a bit... but that's because I listen to them loud.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 16
If you have any ~full-sized headphones, play some music just a little below however loud you plan on listening to them and take them off your head. That's kind of how much sound leaks out on Grados.

If you're anywhere moderately quiet, people around you will hear what you're listening to. If you listen at lower volumes, people will still hear noise from the headphones but probably won't be able to tell what you're listening to.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 16
It's hard to find a headphone that leaks more than Grados. A sensitive person wouldn't be able to sleep in the same room even if you're listening at very low level.

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's hard to find a headphone that leaks more than Grados. A sensitive person wouldn't be able to sleep in the same room even if you're listening at very low level.

Yeah, when I burnt my RS-1s in I had to leave them in the livingroom.
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #9 of 16
yukihiro: i tried the exercise you recommended. quite useful. i think open headphones would be too loud. it is borderline for jazz and way to loud for rock and r&b. so i guess i'm back in pursuit of a closed-can, one that i can use unamped for jazz. thanks.

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramosa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yukihiro: i tried the exercise you recommended. quite useful. i think open headphones would be too loud. it is borderline for jazz and way to loud for rock and r&b. so i guess i'm back in pursuit of a closed-can, one that i can use unamped for jazz. thanks.

Aww... the SR60/80 would have really made you proud.

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by yukihiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have any ~full-sized headphones, play some music just a little below however loud you plan on listening to them and take them off your head. That's kind of how much sound leaks out on Grados.

If you're anywhere moderately quiet, people around you will hear what you're listening to. If you listen at lower volumes, people will still hear noise from the headphones but probably won't be able to tell what you're listening to.

that's pretty darn loud. O_O

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #13 of 16
even closed cans can leak sound on high volumes. e.g. Ultrasone Pro 750. Low-Mid volume no issues thou.

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #14 of 16
Good luck on your search. The SR80s openness is what got me to buy D1001s for portable use.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back