grado sr60's - dissapointed
Nov 17, 2005 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

i.comm

New Head-Fier
should i stick with these some more?

as a newb i read all the hype for the 60's and brought a pair. they've been running about a day now non-stop and i have to say i'm unexcited... they're less 'fun' than the ex71s i've had for some time and cetaintly seem to have less bass.

should i leave them to run in more before i put them down as being a let down?

should i go for the ue5pros for more kicks?

Nov 18, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 17
i guess you are missing the "thunderous" bass and "eye-catching" highs from the EX-71 from the SR60, right?
icon10.gif

everything sounds hollow and lifeless?

can you tell me what source you are using first?

Nov 18, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 17
I used Sony EX51's (same as EX71 but no split cable for remote) and moved up to SR60' just last week, so I'm in the same position that you're in.

However, I think the bass on the SR60's are great. Maybe even a little boomy if your're using the stock comfy pads. I like to have my bass, which was why I got the EX51's, but I think the SR60's has just as much, which really surprised me. It's less boomy and more controlled, but definitely there.

Try them for a few days, it wouldn't take you long before you realize how muddy the EX71's are. The SR60's make your music sound alive, with clear highs that don't fatigue you.... unlike the EX71's which are just a collection of bone-conducting bass and shrieking highs.... with a whole chunk missing in between.

Nov 18, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 17
Give them around a week more of listening to them then try to go back to your old headphones. You should realize then how much worse your old headphones actually are and will be able to pick out in which ways your new headphones are better.
It works well for me.
lambda.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #7 of 17
I felt the same way when i first got the SR60's as well!

Just stick with it for awhile more and see if you still like them, then ?
580smile.gif

It took mine quite awhile to get their act together.....they're rather lovely now
biggrin.gif

Ooh....i use a pair of EX71's as well.....i personally think there is no contest
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 17
I was lucky. When I first heard the SR-60, my previous experiences with headphones were all walmart garbage(Sony MDR-V150 was my best headphone, lol). So I was extremely amazed when I first heard the SR-60 at my uncle's place. This happened in May. Shortly afterwards, I bought my own SR-60, found head-fi, sold the SR-60 to my aunt, bought the MS-1 and a cmoy, then recently bought HF-1 & MS-2 and sold the MS-1. I wish I had noticed in which thread (if any), someone was sorry about my wallet :p

Nov 18, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #9 of 17
Give them some time. If after a week or 2 you find you are still lusting for a darker, less forward sound in an open can, that won’t break the bank, you might consider PX100 or KSC35.

Nov 18, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #10 of 17
Yep, just give them time. Happened with me and now I can't go back to my ex71's because they sound so muddy. I thought the bass on the ex71's were great but when I heard the sr60's tight, controlled bass and detail.... wow, they blew the sony's out of the water. Your ears just have to get used to the sound.

Nov 18, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #12 of 17
fantasic responses - thank you all. i'll stick with them for a couple of weeks and as suggested drop back to the Sonys for comparison.

it's great to hear other people's experiences. i started off with a shuffle for a laugh a year ago and now am totally into the head-fi thing, the hi-fi doesn't get a look in anymore! now have a 4gb nano, music is certainly more entertaining on cans and i listen to much more than a year ago as a result.

Nov 18, 2005 at 9:14 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by c.you
Yep, just give them time. Happened with me and now I can't go back to my ex71's because they sound so muddy. I thought the bass on the ex71's were great but when I heard the sr60's tight, controlled bass and detail.... wow, they blew the sony's out of the water. Your ears just have to get used to the sound.

QFT (quoted for truth). Although I have MS-1s which are above in the line, A/Bing them side to side and comparing the differences could be done by a person with hearing disabilities and is not concentrating on the music.
tongue.gif

The EX71s have very emphasized highs, in my opinion, however, they are piercing and painful. They're not clean highs that seem to go farther than your own range of hearing frequencies -- to me, they sounded like highs that just dropped off at a very low point and became a crackle.

Now that I've been introduced to the true headphone world, the only thing going for EX71s is their low price ($30 US) and their isolation, very good for not wanting to hear other things besides your music.

Nov 18, 2005 at 11:14 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt
Try getting a 12" subwoofer and use that with the SR60, to make up for the lack of bass.

Wow. This sounds like a great idea. The one thing, headphones can't give you, is body impact from bass. It would be a great project, having a subwoofer going alongside with headphones. Really worth a try.
icon10.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 11:35 AM Post #15 of 17
Also important:
What kind of music do you listen to?
For rock grado's are one of the best, but they're not good for rap, classic, chill music(at least, that's what I think of it).
Give them after the burn-in another try.
Worked with my ms-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back