Grado SR60i worth 110$?
Mar 20, 2010 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Shatter

Head-Fier
Background: i already have Beyer DT440s and Philips SHP9000 (the top end philips). I'd really like something with much more forward mids and a very small soundstage, yet fairly good detail reproduction.

I listen to just about anything, can't point out a specific genre.

This is the only price I can get them at around here, I'm not willing to deal with intercontinental shipping (as far as I know, there's a shipping ban by Grado, you either get them at the "special" europe prices in europe, or at normal prices in the us, headroom & co don't deliver them outside usa, etc.)

Alessandro's site doesn't seem to work (or I would've got MS1s)...

Suggestions/opinions?

Thanks.

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #2 of 23
For $110 try to get the ATH M50 instead, better can for the price with similar characteristics.

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 23
The Alessandro site (http://www.alessandro-products.com/main.php) is working fine? Probably it was down for a while.

But to answer your question: $110 is a relatively "low" price SR60i's in europe, but still ridiculously overpriced. The sound however, is worth it, in my opinion.

I have not heard any Alessandros, but they are said to be a bit less harsh/agressive than the Grados. You should probably try both the MS1 and the SR60, if you have the chance to.

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But to answer your question: $110 is a relatively "low" price SR60i's in europe, but still ridiculously overpriced.

I live in Manhattan, and the standard price for these cans around here is $79. Here is J&R's listing. Yeah, $110 is heavy freight for the 60is, but I realize that Grados sell at a premium outside the US. The question is whether the premium you have to pay is worth it to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound however, is worth it, in my opinion.

I owned a pair of the original SR60s, no i, thank you, and they were wonderful. I recently gave a pair of the SR60i's to a friend as a birthday present, and she loves them. They are, no doubt, great phones and a great value. But at $110, you are in a different price range; my advice would be to try before you buy. Not saying you won't choose them; you very well might. But you have a LOT of choices in that higher price range.

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #5 of 23
the Alessandro site is working fine, but the java applet that used to serve as a basket isn't there anymore. As such, i can't order.
smily_headphones1.gif

Are there any other small sounstage, forward-sounding mids cans out there? I see mochan has suggested ATH M50...

Also, more opinions on the bang-for-buck factor in this case would be welcome. I thank those who've already posted.

LE: now alessandro's site is working better. Sadly, i have no way of auditioning them. DO they have a "held-back" midrange when compared to the sr60? If so, they'd be out of the race...

LLE: Ath M50 is 200 usd here, a bit far fetched for what i've briefly listened and seemed just as mids-impared as much cheaper headphones. I can get DT880 for $250, ***.

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #8 of 23
BTW I personally bought my SR60i for about $110US more or less (don't live in the US).

I also bought my M50s for about $120US. Because of that I felt I got cheated on the SR60i since I felt the M50 was superior to the SR60i sonically in just about every way (I like my bass though and I typically prefer dark to bright -- that said the two HPs sound very similar even if one is quite dark and the other rather bright).

Oh and yeah if the M50 is like $200 forget it, just get the DT880 for $250 I heard it's supposed to be much better (don't know though, haven't heard it). I actually sold my M50 after getting the DT770, after the DT770 I couldn't go back to the M50.

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #9 of 23
Sort your issues with java out and order some MS1i's
smily_headphones1.gif
Got hit by import tax but still worth it IMO

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 23
Given your situation and desire for value, I would definitely get the MS1i. They offer better detail and have superior drivers compared to the SR60i.

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #12 of 23
Value (worth) is highly subjective.
A specific item costing $110 may seem to provide great value for one person, while to another person it may seem to provide low value (aka overpriced). So in the end only you can tell if you value the SR60i to be worth $110.

I do, but that is just me.
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #13 of 23
Shipping to the UK is just shy of $30. While there may be ways to reduce costs by shipping in bulk, the overseas freight has to be factored in, not to mention the differences in the distribution chain. If you add $79 and $30, you get $109. That's not really outrageous.

The SR60 is an awesome value, a very good headphone for the price. It can be easily modded to turn it into an even better phone. But with the SR60i, you're getting an SR60 pre-modded by Grado. The difference is more than cosmetic.

I modded an SR60 to damp the insides extensively. This cut out HF spikes that otherwise left it "less refined" than its higher-priced siblings. I damped the inside walls, the back of the magnet plate and the back of the button. I also modified the cloth fore and aft and changed the cushions. The result was an ultra-low-cost enhancement that totally freaked me out.

As long as the drivers are sound, you can mod any headphone into greatness. It's not magic. It's just common sense.

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #14 of 23
Depending on where you are, the Sennheiser HD448 can be had for as low as $70 (that's what I paid for them) and have a very detailed and forward midrange. If you can, I'd suggest trying them out somewhere.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shatter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, isn't Alessandro EU based? I'm in the EU.

No.. they're in Pennsylvania or something. I just noticed they take paypal now too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back