Grado sr60i vs. Denon D1001
Sep 21, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #2 of 14
These are two COMPLETELY different headphones. One is open , the other is closed - really can't compare them side by side.

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are two COMPLETELY different headphones. One is open , the other is closed - really can't compare them side by side.

Ah ha ha... I was waiting for someone to say something like that.
biggrin.gif
I know, one is open, one is closed... but they are both highly rated headphones in the price range. The point is, which one sounds better to you? Forget everything else, this is solely about which sound you prefer. I mean, yeah, they each have their own strengths and weaknesses because they are different types of headphones... I don't care about that, I'm just curious about how people feel about them.

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

but we are comparing them side by side, isn't it why applaudio has asked the question.

The Grado's are well weighted in the bass, O.K. sound staging and fairly comfortable. the Denon's I felt lacked a touch in midrange clarity ... could have done with a bit more definition, but the bass is slightly deeper. Open or closed, the Denon's will leak sound depending on where you have the loud peddle.

The Denon's are slightly ahead on comfort, but it's not an easy one. I say don't worry too much about the open and closed issue, there are good and bad variations of both!

Oct 9, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 14
Based on SQ alone, I can be swayed either way just about equally. They both have different presentations and can appeal to different music.

The d1k gets my vote though cause it's always there when I need a closed headphone

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #9 of 14
D1001 based mostly on the fact that I can comfortably wear it for long periods of time. Both headphones sound good, the Grado has more forward mids, but I wouldn't say it outright sounds better. Honestly in that price range I'd take the HD 238 over either.

Oct 10, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 14
I personally would lean toward the SR-60i only because they are a lot more exciting than the Denons. I find Denon to be a fairly dark-sounding phone...but not warm. I guess kind of dull is how I would describe it.

But that's just my opinion. I like 'em...just not as much as the Grados.

-Nylan

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #12 of 14
Nylan above hits it - - clearly the SR-60i - more exciting, punchy bass and more 'in-your-face'.

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #13 of 14
Ide say that the 1001 are a more versatile phone, even if it has a pretty accenturated bass.

Oct 10, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #14 of 14
I thought the bass was better with the 1001's but i felt the midrange could have done with a bit more definition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back