GRADO SR60i or SR80i?
Dec 7, 2011 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Gr33nL34f

100+ Head-Fier
Better to save a few bucks going with the sr60i if the sound quality isnt that different? or is the 80i worth the extra cost? was also reading about changing the ear pads to the L cush will that just make them more comfortable or change the sound alittle bit? I listen to music like the beatles,oasis,red hot chili peppers, la roux, 80s pop/synth pop and classic rock. need yo' help audiophiles. :)
also wonder if my xonar dg would make them sound even better with headphone amp. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #2 of 24
I'd say go for the 80i. I've had my 60's for a long time, and I recently upgraded the pads to the 80's and it lets through much more sound, while being much more comfortable than my quarter modded 60 pads (do a search here). The stock 60's pads sound muffled in comparison. Listen to both phones and decide for yourself, as you might prefer the more laid back sound of the 60's

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 24
I don't think the SR60 sound laid back when compared to the SR80. The bowl pads can be had for $10ish and they make Grado's sound a lot better. Unfortunately, they're STILL out of stock here. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #5 of 24
I'll go straight for the 80i if i were you, i got the 60i and ended up upgrading to the 80i a few days later! 
confused_face(1).gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #7 of 24

Quote:
Wow really? whats the difference in the 80s from the 60s? i read it was marginal differences.

Grado SR80 sounds a tad brighter. It's a matter of preference. I really wouldn't call it an upgrade. 

Get either and buy some L-Cush/bowls. They sound a lot better with bowls. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #8 of 24
Yeah thats what i was thinking Blue Boat after reading some threads about switching to the L cush. I just want to make the right decision and get some opinions with the type of music i like. I mean im upgrading from creative fatal1ty headset and just gave my sennheiser hd201's to my nephew(bad headphones imo) so im hoping the grados will be a good leap up from what i have/had. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
Yeah thats what i was thinking Blue Boat after reading some threads about switching to the L cush. I just want to make the right decision and get some opinions with the type of music i like. I mean im upgrading from creative fatal1ty headset and just gave my sennheiser hd201's to my nephew(bad headphones imo) so im hoping the grados will be a good leap up from what i have/had. 

They might take some getting used to. Out of the box, the highs on Grados are really harsh. They're great for fast paced rock and metal but for bassier rock (RHCP, Arctic Monkeys) they might sound a little lifeless at first. Little Dot tube amps go well with Grados, imho. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #13 of 24
Grados are relatively easy to drive, although they do benefit from lots of current, i'll worry more about the source, if you do get the Grados the best upgrade you can do after is to get higher quality files, i find 320kbps fine, and maybe an external DAC.

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #14 of 24
I retract my previous comment, I didnt realize that the 80i's were now shipping with the comfy pads (the standard 80's i believe had bowl pads). Whatever one you get, pick up some bowl pads-I paid $15 for mine at my local shop, and really open up the sound.

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #15 of 24
I don't like bowl pads.  They are uncomfortable to my ears, and I think they are too bright.  I use all my Grado's with comfies specifically for comfort and to tame the mids/highs.  Both the 60's and 80's indeed come with comfies, as do the 125's too.

Other than that, I think any other differences are more manufacturing variation than any intent by Grado to change the sound between the 60, 80, or 125.

With that said, I heard one pair of 60's and I owned two pair of 80's, and I think there might have been something wrong with the 60's because there was an extreme lack of low end heft.  That was at a dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back