Grado SR60 with DAC/amp or Grado SR225 ampless and plugged into stock sound card. Which one has better SQ?
Nov 18, 2009 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Joakcbasse

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking about picking up the iBasso d2+boa. I currently use my Grado SR60 and Sony MDR-V6s plugged into my Thinkpad stock sound card, both unamped. So, I was just wondering, would improving my source or improving my headphone give me a bigger SQ difference?

Nov 18, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 11
Do one at a time... buy the SR225 now and save up for an amp/DAC or buy an amp/DAC now and save up for the SR225 later.

EDIT: Probably the source at this point though.

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 11
The problem with getting the SR225 and a cheaper DAC/amp is that, from what I've read, the ibasso d2+boa is basically one of the best bang-for-the-buck DAC/amps, and that i'd be using it for quite awhile. Thus, I feel like I wouldn't be satisfied with a cheaper DAC/amp and would want to upgrade soon.

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joakcbasse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with getting the SR225 and a cheaper DAC/amp is that, from what I've read, the ibasso d2+boa is basically one of the best bang-for-the-buck DAC/amps, and that i'd be using it for quite awhile. Thus, I feel like I wouldn't be satisfied with a cheaper DAC/amp and would want to upgrade soon.

You have answered your own question. Buy the ibasso and save your money for a headphone upgrade later, if you even feel like you need to after the new dac/amp.

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 11
My question is sort of a general one, too. Like...headphones are said to make the biggest difference in a setup, but how big exactly is that difference? Does it trounce the situation I posed? About what limits do headphones stop making the difference, and at what point does improving your source give you bigger returns for your money?

I sorta just want to see a general discussion on that too :p

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #8 of 11
Get the 225's. Even without the amp they would sound much more open than the 60's with an amp. The perforated plastic backs cause severe near reflections that make the sound conjested. The wire backed 225s do not have the near reflection problem. Grado's are extremely sensitive to sound reflections even changing there sound if you place your cupped hand less than two inches from the back of the driver. This is easily heard on the wire back units as they are inherantly more free of near reflections of thier own. Less so on the perferated plastic backs as the plastic backs reflections overpower the lesser reflections caused by the cupped hands till you almost touch the backs of the driver housing.

After hearing what the 225s are capable of you will definately want to upgrade your source though

Nov 19, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 11
Upgrade the source. Definitely. I find that the SR225s are wonderful and engaging with a good source & amp, but without they're very harsh and fatiguing. It doesn't translate into immediately identifiable SQ differences, but it definitely translates to a splitting headache or lack thereof after about 30 or 45 minutes.

Nov 20, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by aristos_achaion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Upgrade the source. Definitely. I find that the SR225s are wonderful and engaging with a good source & amp, but without they're very harsh and fatiguing. It doesn't translate into immediately identifiable SQ differences, but it definitely translates to a splitting headache or lack thereof after about 30 or 45 minutes.

qft. Source always comes first.

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #11 of 11
I was in a similar predicament a couple of weeks ago. I had two options: SR225i naked, or SR80i + uDAC. After much contemplating, I decided on the latter setup and couldn't be more happy. I'm new to the whole head-fi thing, so my virgin ears are quite pleased with the "low end" sound. Plus, I figured I could always add another pair of headphones down the road and keep the SR80i's for a set of portable/backup headphones.

As for the uDAC, I think it pairs nicely with these Grados. It didn't change the sound signature much (if at all), and really cleaned up the midrange as well as minimized some of the distortion at the extreme low/high ends. Needless to say, I don't regret my decision to purchase these two items. Pretty amazing quality for <$200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back