Grado SR60 Vs. Sennheiser HD555
Jan 23, 2006 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

istari_knight

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Just need to know -: whats the better cans ?

i mostly liten to rock /acoustic music and these will be powered by a valve headphone amp....

thanks , James.

Jan 23, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by istari_knight
Hi,

Just need to know -: whats the better cans ?

i mostly liten to rock /acoustic music and these will be powered by a valve headphone amp....

thanks , James.

SR-60's more energetic, which might synergize well with rock and a tube amp. But the HD 555 is overall more refined, balanced, and detailed, with much better soundstage.

Jan 24, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #4 of 15
Opinions nonwithstanding (actually they are standing up tall)... if you need speed and have a lot of guitar playing in your music the Grados may sound better to you.

I believe the decision at this level of investment will initially will be a lot about sound signature - which sounds graps you.

Assume you chose the SR60
Really like the quick, great for guitar and close-up sound...

After a few months/days? here on this forum you will get upgraditis and begin listening to other headphones. At this point the SR60 will sound too closed in and some details will be lacking.

You upgrade to the SR80 - wow, nice bass, soundstage is a little better. Then a few more trips to Head-Fi and you begin to rationalize - hey at $195 the SR225s are only $100 more than the SR80s I bought. (From time to time you remember you vowed never to spend more than $125 for ANY headphone). Anyway you buy the SR225s - they sound great (soundstage, clarity)... but NOW you need an amp... ...

Assume you chose the 555
Really like the refined, detailed open soundstage...

After a few months/days? here on this forum you will get upgraditis and begin listening to other headphones. At this point the 555 will sound too closed in and some details will be lacking. (wow sounds like how you felt about the SR60).

You upgrade to the HD 595- wow, nicer bass, soundstage is better. Then a few more trips to Head-Fi and you begin to rationalize - hey at $275, $350 the DT880s, HD600s, HD650s are only $100, $150 more than the 595s I bought. (From time to time you remember you vowed never to spend more than $200 for ANY headphone). Anyway you buy the DT880s- they sound great (soundstage, clarity)... but NOW you need an amp... ... and now you need some funny named cables (named Zu Wang or Carabas or Jimmy Deans, whatever) and everything needs to be burned in, and your spouse is upset with all the time you spend on Head-Fi and auditioning headphones... and you begin the SEARCH for the holy grail of sound - you know it exists - you know you have golden ears but something small is missing from your equipment... After $1000+ you still have upgraditis...

WELCOME.

Jan 24, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #5 of 15
Bingo. The above just about sums it all up. Welcome... you wallets in for a trip.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 15
My take on this...
Get the sr60 and get out of headfi. I was content with mine for years even though I had hd580s. When I came here I was curious to try different sounding stuff. The Result=Upgradeitis! It never ends. The more you know and the more you hear, the more you ain't gonna be content. I myself am currently sticking with my ms1s and 555s. No more upgrades unless I strike Gold or Oil! Better cans will need better sources and better amps= MASSIVE WALLET INJURY.

The answer to the original post.... The 555 is better. even better than my ms1 overall. I thought the MS1 was going to blow my 555 away when I ordered it because i was really impressed with the sr60 when I got it. The 555 was ordinary when I first bought it but now after a few hundred hours... whoah! The Grados bass now seems too bloated, the highs are veiled and detail is lost. Don't believe the comments that grados are bright. Lets get it clear, Grados with Bowls might be bright(but clearer), not the ones with comfies or flats.

The reason I recommend the sr60 is that it doesn't improve as much as the 555 with better equipment. Meaning it is better for your wallet and better for your mental health. If you start, take note the word START... with the 555, Chances are youll dump other hobbies and become a headphone freak like us...
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #7 of 15
That is how i felt about the 555 as well. I thought my MS1 was better.....boy i was wrong!
eek.gif
HD555 is quite an impressive and capable headphone.

If you listen to them side by side, the HD555 will sound more refine and elegant. MS1 will sound more rough/uncouth.
tongue.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 15
Hd555 all the way.I also started with the sr60 and came upon a thread on dangers of grado pushing the treble end.I was getting ear buzz and decided to dump the grado for hd555.
You are warned that if you have tried the sr60,the hd555 will sound dull at first and soft.Dont be put off and just use it and soon you will hear what a great phone this is.It neutral and thus doesnt push anything but when the music pushes it delivers.Ive heard drums explode from these cans in places i never heard before in songs and vocal delivery so pure it gave me chills.Yes i wonder about the hd595 but with no amp in my future(I mean it,damn it)Ive been told i should stick with the hd555 which im going to do(Damn it i mean it again)

Jan 24, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg3
Hd555 all the way.I also started with the sr60 and came upon a thread on dangers of grado pushing the treble end.I was getting ear buzz and decided to dump the grado for hd555.
You are warned that if you have tried the sr60,the hd555 will sound dull at first and soft.Dont be put off and just use it and soon you will hear what a great phone this is.It neutral and thus doesnt push anything but when the music pushes it delivers.Ive heard drums explode from these cans in places i never heard before in songs and vocal delivery so pure it gave me chills.Yes i wonder about the hd595 but with no amp in my future(I mean it,damn it)Ive been told i should stick with the hd555 which im going to do(Damn it i mean it again)

In my humble opinion, you really should stick with only the HD555 ... I bought the HD555 at first and I promised I would stick with it ... After sometime, the source bothers me, and another time, the HD555 bothers me and at another time, the amp bothers me ...

So my wallet ended up for a roller coaster ride
orphsmile.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 15
My strategy:

1. Get the HD555.

The HD555 is one of the best unamped headphones.

2. Get a good amp.

The HD555 will sound much better, especially the bass.

3. Upgrade your source.

The HD555 will sound even better, especially the detail.
And now you have the supporting rig to

4. Buy a high-end headphone.

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 15
Okay I give up-Could you recommend an amp for the hd555 that will make a difference and take into consideration that im keeping the hd555 and not upgrading the minute i get the amp.

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 15
Okay - thanks for all the advice & i know so many have said senn555 but i demo'ed the sr60's and found them more suited to my music , i just found the senns a little boring ! i know......cloth ears or what ?

and ive already got upgraditis ! ive decided to save and get the best cans i can afford as the value for money seems so much better than speakers !

in the past ive demo'ed £1000 speakers and the gr60's whip them !

Thanks again !

Jul 16, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Opinions nonwithstanding (actually they are standing up tall)... if you need speed and have a lot of guitar playing in your music the Grados may sound better to you.

I believe the decision at this level of investment will initially will be a lot about sound signature - which sounds graps you.

After a few months/days? here on this forum you will get upgraditis and begin listening to other headphones. At this point the SR60 will sound too closed in and some details will be lacking.

You upgrade to the SR80 - wow, nice bass, soundstage is a little better. Then a few more trips to Head-Fi and you begin to rationalize - hey at $195 the SR225s are only $100 more than the SR80s I bought. (From time to time you remember you vowed never to spend more than $125 for ANY headphone). Anyway you buy the SR225s - they sound great (soundstage, clarity)... but NOW you need an amp... ...

Assume you chose the 555

After a few months/days? here on this forum you will get upgraditis and begin listening to other headphones. At this point the 555 will sound too closed in and some details will be lacking. (wow sounds like how you felt about the SR60).

You upgrade to the HD 595- wow, nicer bass, soundstage is better. Then a few more trips to Head-Fi and you begin to rationalize - hey at $275, $350 the DT880s, HD600s, HD650s are only $100, $150 more than the 595s I bought. (From time to time you remember you vowed never to spend more than $200 for ANY headphone). Anyway you buy the DT880s- they sound great (soundstage, clarity)... but NOW you need an amp... ... and now you need some funny named cables (named Zu Wang or Carabas or Jimmy Deans, whatever) and everything needs to be burned in, and your spouse is upset with all the time you spend on Head-Fi and auditioning headphones... and you begin the SEARCH for the holy grail of sound - you know it exists - you know you have golden ears but something small is missing from your equipment... After $1000+ you still have upgraditis...

WELCOME.

Hanging around in the forums and I run into this post. If you are not in the mental health field you should be. Wonderful diatribe on the reality that is North American Consumerism! Poetic and concise....= Love what you have! H

Jul 16, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Assume you chose the 555

WELCOME.

wow you perfectly described what I went though.
smily_headphones1.gif
I went the 555 route.

May 31, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:

Assume you chose the 555

WELCOME.

seriously dude, you have just described myself! :,( damn you upgraditis...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back