Grado SR60 vs Sennheiser HD485
May 26, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 13
No Grados here in poland but I own a pair of Senn 485's and can recommend them.

They are rather extreme, ie they really emphasize both bass and treble BUT mids are present and every frequency is clear, defined and not distorted. They are really alive and exciting, they sound really good, precise and they bring out details I never heard before.
Soundstage is appreciable, you feel surrounded by the instruments, like sitting AT the drum set.
IMO they are amazing, especially considering that you get a padded holder to clip on a shelf or a table, very convenient. I like they way they look too (Grados look Eighties...bleh)

Comfort-wise they are fullsize cans but the earcups are not as big as other Senns (ex HD555 or HD595) so you definitely feel the foam resting around your ears.
I suppose this detail and they fact that they sound all but relaxing (but WOW!) makes them a bit uncomfortable over long periods of time. Having said that I spend many a night watching movies and TV shows in a row without any problems and I don't have small ears.

PS they are very light and solid, the plastic they use is top notch. Do not bend the headband too much though, it is flexible and will conform to your head but don't play too much with it lest it snaps.

May 26, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 13
It depends if you want bass-heavy headphones with slightly recessed mids, or lively headphones, giving possibility to change the sound signature by using different earpads. The SR60's are surely more portable and I would choose them even over the HD555's which don't pair well with portable equipment. Grado's in general don't suffer much from portable devices while the Senns might be underpowered which means flat and uninvolving sound rather than lack of volume. I listened to the HD485's once and I think I'd choose the SR60's. They are great, and probably there is nothing more interesting in the Grado line-up till the SR325i model.

May 26, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ^adm^ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pain ??? More like bleeding with Grados.

is this true that Grados are that uncomfortable ?
confused.gif

I would definitely like to avoid that..

May 26, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 13
HD485 look good for All purpose listening.

they are marketed as Home listeners headphones.

i am also looking forward to buy them

May 26, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #11 of 13
If you stretch the headband a little bit it will alleviate most of the discomfort. I can wear my MS2 for a few hours with no discomfort, although I never wore them for up to 7-8 hours like the OP would want to. And the MS2 is heavier than the SR60.

The comfort is really hit or miss with people.

May 4, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 13
These are the only two headphones I own. And I just love them both. I usually use the HD485 for gaming and techno/hiphop and the Grados for rock/classical. They 485s were really uncomfortable on me when I got them, but a couple of hours of pain they got more comfortable over time. The sr60s were comfortable on me from the start, but I guess that won't apply to everyone since no one is the same.

The bass is more pronounced in the 485s than the sr60s. The sr60s "leak" more sound out.

I personally like the sr60s slighty more =) Go to your music store and try them both on. But I would recommend 485 for iPod use, they are more portable and don't leak out as much sound =)

GOod luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back