Grado sr60 vs. Senn 477 vs. Beyer Dt231
Jan 20, 2005 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BadKarma89

New Head-Fier
Well, long time ago i came here because i started getting pretty serious about music and wanted a nice pair of headphones. Well, Im finally getting a new ipod after my other one got stolen.

I have about $50-$79 set aside for headphones. I listen to ALL types of music, from rock, rap/hip hop, metal, classical, techno, etc.

What are your recommendations on the 3?

Thanks

Jan 20, 2005 at 10:53 AM Post #2 of 5
I was in the same boat as you recently. I ended up buying both the Sennheiser HD497's and Grado SR80's just to see which one I wanted to keep and which one was getting returned. Now, I know that both of these cans are each a small step up from your choices but I really think that you should get the SR60's. Sennheisers are NOT good for rock or hip hop. Grados are much more aggressive and energetic than the Senns and that may or may not be a good thing. It's all a matter of preference.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 5
I use my Alessandro MS-1's (Grado) for portable, they're ok as far as size and fit goes. But if I walk in a noisy environment, I must turn the volume up real high due to ambient noise. So, they're ok for portable in some situations. The DT231 is of a sealed/closed design, and dampens some noise. Not much, but enough to reduce outside noise a bit. In that way, it's more suited as a portable phone. Allthough they can't compete with my MS-1, I like the sound of the DT231. Good bass and tidy highs, a little low presence on the hi-hat and cymbal (spelling?).

Have not tried the 477's, but they don't get too much good reviews, in addition, they are open, like the Grados, so they don't dampen ambient noise.

Knut

Jan 20, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 5
I have the Sennheiser HD477s, and they're really not that bad. However, I really wouldn't recommend the Grados or the Senns for portable use since they're entirely open. I believe that compensation of their openness by turning up the volume will only hurt the user in the long run. If you were using these in a home situation, I'd say that the Senns and Grados are both good, but since this is portable, I can't recommend them. The HD477, imo, are pretty good if you get them for a good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back