Grado SR60 vs 80 125 225 325..help!
Nov 8, 2005 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MasZakrY

100+ Head-Fier
I think I should confirm the findings of these cans before I make a final purchase!

-60's lack bass, are the only ones that come with comfy pads and sport a 1/8" plug (& 1/4" adapter).

-80's are overly bassy, have bowl pads and also sport a 1/8" plug (& 1/4" adapter)

-125's are overly bright and have less bass then the SR80's, have bowl pads and terminate to a 1/4" plug

-225's have more bass then 125's but less then 80's, are less "boomy" (more contolled), have bowls and get a 1/4" plug

-325's are overly bright, heavy, low build quality, have bowls and get a 1/4" plug

I'm guessing that the "ones to get" out of these are the SR225's but are the SR80's a close second?
confused.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasZakrY
I think I should confirm the findings of these cans before I make a final purchase!

-60's lack bass, are the only ones that come with comfy pads and sport a 1/8" plug (& 1/4" adapter).

-80's are overly bassy, have bowl pads and also sport a 1/8" plug (& 1/4" adapter)

-125's are overly bright and have less bass then the SR80's, have bowl pads and terminate to a 1/4" plug

-225's have more bass then 125's but less then 80's, are less "boomy" (more contolled), have bowls and get a 1/4" plug

-325's are overly bright, heavy, low build quality, have bowls and get a 1/4" plug

I'm guessing that the "ones to get" out of these are the SR225's but are the SR80's a close second?
confused.gif

SR-60's - Don't really lack bass like you might think - but compared to something like DT880's they are a bit shallow on the bass end. On the up-side, the mids and highs are amazing for the price! I didn't find the bass to be disappointing at all.

SR-80's - I use these at work. They actually don't have that much more bass then the SR-60's. The sound-stage seems a little bit broader. It's really not a huge improvement over the SR-60's, but it IS an improvement and may be worth the extra $30 (or so)

SR-125's - I haven't experienced these, but from what i've read they are the weak link in the current Grado line. I have read that they don't offer enough "oompf" over the SR-80's to warrant their purchase. Some people really love these though... it's hard to say since i've never really experienced these cans.

SR-225 - A lot of people believe that these are the strongest cans for the price (next to the HF-1's). The bass is really responsive and the harsh highs are a little more tame. Probably have much better bass then the SR-80's... or at least better quality bass.

SR-325i - If you're gonna get the SR-325's, then at least make sure you get the i version. The i stands for improved. With the original SR-325's, it seemed like more of a side-step to the SR-225's and not much of an improvement - from what I've gathered. The 325i's are made with aluminum and have improved drivers. A lot of people really like these cans.

HF-1's - You didn't include these in your lineup, but these seem to be the hottest Grado can you can find here on Head-Fi at the moment. Most people agree that these are a bit better then the 225's, but cost the same. These are very limited and the last I heard there were only 10 left (that was this morning!) Most people say that the bass has improved over the 225 and the highs are tamed for easier listening. I have these comin' in the mail right now (#406) so I can't give you a detailed review, although I wish I could.

So, I would recommend the HF-1's if you can get em. You can't beat these cans for the price. If the 225's are the strongest in the line-up when it comes to price vs performance then the improved HF-1's, which cost the same, are a GREAT deal!

Nov 8, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 5
HF-1's are a little pricey for me at the moment (bad timing I guess). Seems like the SR225's beat out everything else including the SR325's (minus HF-1's).

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:03 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasZakrY

blink.gif
? I've tried all of the original Prestige Series and your summaries strike me as a little... surprising. Reversed even. So surprising I had to use my first emoticon, the shame of it.

80: Usual complaint is that theyre bright and can be harsh, I wouldn't be surprised if some found them rather bass light compared to a lot of other phones. They have more than the 60, a lot less than the 225.
125: I never really compared the two, and the 125 I heard was slightly modified, but based on my trial of it and my experience with the similar MS1, I'd say both have a bit more bass than the 80 and better highs.
As for bass quality, the 225 I tried seemed boomier than any of the others (not a complaint, just what I noted and at the time it was still my favorite of the Grados I'd heard).
All of the prestige line is a bit light in the build quality department, but the 325 is a pretty good step up over the plastic and vinyl models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back