Grado SR60, SR80, or Sennheiser HD280
Sep 25, 2007 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ravissimo

Head-Fier
Hello good folks of head-fi.org,

I've frequently wandered the forums in search of great advice on different sets of headphones, mostly ones that I can't afford, but I am now in need of particular advice concerning three headphones that I've come to know are amazing.

I haven't tried any of these headphones, the Grado SR60s, SR80s or the Sennheiser HD280 Pros, but I've heard they're all good. I've also read that the Grado's are great for rock music and that the Sennheiser HD280s are typical cans suggested for particularly classical but otherwise an all around good set of phones.

While I listen to modern rock/punk/pop rock (foo fighters, fuel, live, stone temple pilots, matchbox twenty, all-american rejects, 30 seconds to mars, finch, default, etc.) about 85-90% of the time, Every now and then I like to listen to some hip-hop or pop stuff (black eyed peas, eminem, some other random stuff), and so it's important to me to have an affordable set of cans that can play everything beautifully (given the price constraint).

So question, do the Grado SR60s and SR80s only sound good for rock music? would they have the oomph to play some other types of music? Would the Sennheisers play everything more evenly? I would MUCH rather buy a set of phones that plays everything well, as opposed to play one genre of music really well, and everything else horribly. that's my main concern..

I'm leaning towards the HD280s just because i have the px100s, the cx300 IEMs, and the senn HD212 Pro, and I guess I like all of them (except the 212s aren't that great). Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Any other suggestions around the $75-100 mark? I'm looking for closed over the head cans similar to the sr60s and hd280s. Which ones should I get? Thank you in advance!
600smile.gif

EDIT: After reading a couple other posts, i thought I should add 'what i'm looking for'...
I always prefer an even response that doesn't over-inflate bass, so even when listening to hip-hop stuff, I like the bass to be tight and driven, not blaring, distorted bass that sounds like crap. I like my lows, mids, highs clearly separated out, and I like the treble to be clean and sparkly. So While I like rock very much, I like the clear treble that comes with pop rock as opposed to the 'arena' rock sound, where guitar trumps all. thank you again.

Sep 25, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #3 of 16
SR60's with bowls equals SR80's. The difference is very very subtle. I would get the SR60's with bowls. Usually cheaper depending on the places you buy them from. I think you will really enjoy Grados. I don't believe the A500 has the oomph you are looking for. I didn't like the A500's very much at all.

Sep 25, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #4 of 16
I would recommend on getting the Senn HD 555. It's a good entry level headphone like the SR-60. The HD 555 is very comfortable and great for long use. The sound is all round use; unlike the Grados, which is specifically for rock.

Sep 25, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ravissimo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've frequently wandered the forums in search of great advice on different sets of headphones, mostly ones that I can't afford, but I am now in need of particular advice concerning three headphones that I've come to know are amazing.

I haven't tried any of these headphones, the Grado SR60s, SR80s or the Sennheiser HD280 Pros, but I've heard they're all good. I've also read that the Grado's are great for rock music and that the Sennheiser HD280s are typical cans suggested for particularly classical but otherwise an all around good set of phones.

While I listen to modern rock/punk/pop rock (foo fighters, fuel, live, stone temple pilots, matchbox twenty, all-american rejects, 30 seconds to mars, finch, default, etc.) about 85-90% of the time, Every now and then I like to listen to some hip-hop or pop stuff (black eyed peas, eminem, some other random stuff), and so it's important to me to have an affordable set of cans that can play everything beautifully (given the price constraint).

So question, do the Grado SR60s and SR80s only sound good for rock music? would they have the oomph to play some other types of music? Would the Sennheisers play everything more evenly? I would MUCH rather buy a set of phones that plays everything well, as opposed to play one genre of music really well, and everything else horribly. that's my main concern..

I'm leaning towards the HD280s just because i have the px100s, the cx300 IEMs, and the senn HD212 Pro, and I guess I like all of them (except the 212s aren't that great). Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Any other suggestions around the $75-100 mark? I'm looking for closed over the head cans similar to the sr60s and hd280s. Which ones should I get? Thank you in advance!
600smile.gif

EDIT: After reading a couple other posts, i thought I should add 'what i'm looking for'...
I always prefer an even response that doesn't over-inflate bass, so even when listening to hip-hop stuff, I like the bass to be tight and driven, not blaring, distorted bass that sounds like crap. I like my lows, mids, highs clearly separated out, and I like the treble to be clean and sparkly. So While I like rock very much, I like the clear treble that comes with pop rock as opposed to the 'arena' rock sound, where guitar trumps all. thank you again.

grados sound good with jazz,trance,classical,rock,blues etc. I have listened to all kinds of music with mine. I think you will like grados. I would get the 80's. They are one step up from the entry level and are a great starting point. My grados get my foot stomping just about everytime. I love them. Warning, though. Once you get grados other headphones are going to sound boring.

Edit: If you like sparkly highs you will love grados. That is one of there best attributes.

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #7 of 16
ravissimo;3303168 said:
I'm looking for closed over the head cans similar to the sr60s and hd280s. Which ones should I get?

If you are looking for closed cans as you state then the Grados being open cans are out. If you do not need the isolation of a closed can I would certainly suggest the SR80s. They will give you much better overall sound than the 280s. While the Grados are considered great for rock, I find them very enjoyable for all kinds of music. With the basshead tape mod you will get tight solid bass, liquid mids and the trademark Grado highs.

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #9 of 16
rapzoo;3303531 said:
Quote:

I'm looking for closed over the head cans similar to the sr60s and hd280s. Which ones should I get?

I don't think anyone read that far. I know I didn't
rolleyes.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #10 of 16
^ hahaha true, just looking at the first line and already know the answer
grados are good for all-kind of genre, but they're magical with rock&jazz music

Sep 25, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #11 of 16
Closed cans? Why?

Sep 25, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #12 of 16
sorry for the lengthy post, just wanted to give the most info to get relevant responses. I didn't know that the grado sr60s and sr80s were open cans. I would prefer closed, but I guess most of the time i'm using them will be in a relatively quiet environment, and every post i've seen says open cans . Also seems like grados are the consensus. I'm excited about the sparkly highs. I think i'll go with the sr80s. thanks everyone.

Sep 25, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

sorry for the lengthy post, just wanted to give the most info to get relevant responses. I didn't know that the grado sr60s and sr80s were open cans. I would prefer closed, but I guess most of the time i'm using them will be in a relatively quiet environment, and every post i've seen says open cans . Also seems like grados are the consensus. I'm excited about the sparkly highs. I think i'll go with the sr80s. thanks everyone.

Good choice IMO. I've owned both the 280 Pros and the SR-80s, and the Grados are so much better especially for the type of music you predominately listen to. The 280 Pros actually do have nice "sparkly" highs as well, IIRC, but the mids and bass are definitely not strong points.

Sep 25, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

There openness is not as bad as you might think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back