Grado SR60 + Pads of HD414. Why?
Feb 26, 2005 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Langrath

100+ Head-Fier
I don't get it. To SR60. It is recommended to buy pads of HD414 to make a hole in them for better sound. But why not make the hole in original pads?

Georg

Feb 26, 2005 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 12
well, people have indeed modded the comfies too. but consensus was that the modded senn pads sounded better for some reason, go figure. also if you ever resell it's nice to have the original pads stock and pristine.

Feb 26, 2005 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 12
What Jahn said about reselling is a good point.
I also kept my comfies intact for warrenty reasons.
And if you don't like the mod, it's nice to be able to go back to the comfies.
The comfies are made of thicker foam. The senn foam comes a bit closer to the flat pads.
And if you screw up the mod you still have your original pads.
And I think the original pads are more expensive to replace then the Senns.

Think that's it.

Feb 26, 2005 at 9:55 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
And I think the original pads are more expensive to replace then the Senns.
Think that's it.

That is a good reason to use pads of HD414 of course. But if they were not so indescribable yellow. But of course. It reminds me of old days when I really bought HD414. My first HD414 were so good for that time that I got kind of shock. But most people here haven’t experienced the release of HD414. They were not born. Those good old days, that weren’t good at all.
biggrin.gif

Georg

Feb 26, 2005 at 10:05 AM Post #5 of 12
It's a bit of a hassle getting anything but the original Grado pads around here. I think I know where to find the Senn pads now, without ordering internationally and paying "ship-loads" in shipping. Anyway, I decided to try cutting the comfies on my MS-1, and I immediately cursed my self... for not doing this right away
smily_headphones1.gif

But, I've heard some people prefer the SR-60's with comfies, so with this particular Grado, you might want to keep the comfies intact. I'm not really sure, just what I've picked up around here...

Knut

Feb 26, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiley Man
ill hopefully be getting some sr60s soon and some HD414 pads, i could do a comparison of how the 3 pads sound on sr60s and 225s if you like
smily_headphones1.gif

I am completely satisfied with the sound of my SR60. Still I couldn't resist ordering pads of HD414 to try that famous hole. I think you get some kind if virus of being in this forum. That virus makes you completely mad.

Georg

Feb 26, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Langrath
I am completely satisfied with the sound of my SR60. Still I couldn't resist ordering pads of HD414 to try that famous hole.

I think you will notice some increase in treble level. =)

I use holed RS pads and untouched 414 pads - preferred bass on the former and treble on latter. Now I wish I haven't cut a hole on RS pads. Btw those are dirt cheap, $2.99 if you can ask a friend with access to radio shack store to get a pair for you.

Mar 4, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 12
i have quarter modded senn 414 pads (i put 4 slits in each one too, just for the hell of it), and i like them for two reasons: the foam is higher density so they are more comfortable and they have a little more detail than unmodded comfies. the quarter modded comfies sounded about the same, but the foam is lower density, so my ear rested on the driver screen after i had modded them. this isn't a problem with the sennheiser pads.

Mar 4, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Langrath
That is a good reason to use pads of HD414 of course. But if they were not so indescribable yellow.

holeinmywallet sells the HD414 pads modded for Grado cans. Check out his thread in Mall-Fi. He dyes them black (not as dark as the original Grado pads but pretty close).

I got them because I read posts from other people about holeinmywallet's work and that the flats cuts down on the excessive brightness of the Grado. I'm using them with my SR225, and I like the sound better than the Grado bowls. Plus, these pads are half the price of Todd's flats. I may give Todd's flat a try later, but for now, I'm happy.

Mar 4, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
holeinmywallet sells the HD414 pads modded for Grado cans. Check out his thread in Mall-Fi. He dyes them black (not as dark as the original Grado pads but pretty close).

His pads are awesome, got my pair yesterday. They are an improvement over my modded comfies (better treble, bass is more coherant(sp?)), and the mods he did were great. Perfect circles and very even dying with no bleeding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back