Grado SR60 or SR80
Jan 10, 2008 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

philthy

100+ Head-Fier
Right now I have a pair of Koss KSC35s and the newer Sennheiser PX100s. I'm looking to upgrade to a pair of entry level Grado's. I'm not too much of an audiophile, but what I've read about other user's great experiences with the 'Grado' sound makes me wanna purchase a pair.

I'm torn between getting a pair of 60s and 80s. I listed to a lot of hip-hop/rap and R&B. Which pair would you recommend me getting or should I stay pat with what I have because there isn't too much of a difference. Thanks.

Jan 10, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 17
There is definitely a difference, but Grados are generally the best for rock music. I'm not saying that hip hop sounds bad on these (certainly not the case), but if you want something that will really mix well with bass heavy music, you might want to check something else out.

Regarding the SR60/80, the SR80 is much more bass heavy than the SR60, so if you are looking for bass, go for the SR80. Also, the SR60 comes with the "comfy" pads (which I don't find all that comfy) while the SR80 and above come with bowls. The comfy pads increase bass while losing treble detail, while the bowls increase treble detail, decrease bass and increase soundstage. I should also mention that I find the bowls very comfortable.

I would go with the SR80.

Jan 10, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 17
i asked myself the same question a few days ago. i eventually just ordered the sr80s because of the music i listen to. and i am kind of a basshead.

Jan 10, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 17
2 votes for 80
smily_headphones1.gif

Speaking on the 60s, I do have a set of HD414 pads that I wanted to mod for the PX100s. If I were to say get the 60s, is it best to change the pads on the 60s to the 414s? Should I coin mod them?

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 17
I would say go for the SR-80 over the SR-60. BUT........if you're going to listen to Hip-hop and R&B dont buy the grados. They're a fun set of cans and they really shine with Rock music. But for Hip-Hop and R&B I would stick with the Sennheisers. The Sennheisers do much better with that genre. Move up the Sennheiser line a little if you want to spend the cash. Just my 2 cents.

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #12 of 17
The sr60's will get you better bass bc of the pads. Technically, they are identical (or similar at least) drivers except the sr80 uses a better cable and comes with bowl pads.

I got the sr60's to save some dollars and can't be happier. The sound isn't mind blowing but it is very quality (I listen to hip-hop/rap/reggae/r&b). Basically nothing sounds "bad" until you hear something better. I figured I was going to get iems later on anyway so it's best to save that "little extra" cash.

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #13 of 17
The bass with the comfies isn't really better. There's more of it, but in comparison to bowl pads, it sounds muffled. The bowl pads make the bass tighter and more defined.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #15 of 17
Im rather confused by the comments earlier stating that the SR80 has more bass than the SR60, but the bowl pads have less bass than comfies, even though they are basically the same phone aside from the pads.
Anyway, I would go for the 60 and quarter mod it. I find it to be more comfortable than bowls, but still awesome sound quality. I wasn't terribly impressed with the 60s before quarter modding them, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back