Grado SR60 or SR80 vs ATH A500
Apr 27, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 5
The Grado sr80 is technically better than the sr60 and is smoother but it has less snap if driven directly by a portable. I used to have both and i did like them a lot while i had them but there is just something fake and jumbled about their sound that made me not really miss them. I sort of enjoy an eqd px100 more than either of them even though the px100 doesn't compete in some aspects of the sound like vocals. Ah and the fit sucks. they feel cheap. The A500s I haven't heard and am interested in also. I am currently deciding between them and a sennheiser HD555 for my next purchase

Apr 27, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 5
I haven't tried the SR60 or the A500, but I LOVE my SR80s. Of course it a matter of opinion, but I don't notice anyhting artifical about the sound. They sound beautiful to my ears.

Apr 27, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 5
i have the sr60 and the a700. they are completely different sound signatures imo. compared to the a700, the grados have a very sweet midrange and upper mids in general. faster attack too. i dont find them at all bright or harsh, as many seem to regard grados in general. they lack the airiness or what i percieve as a "soundstage" that the a700 has.

to me, the a700 is all about clarity and has the ability to go very low (bass). they do seem a bit unbalanced with a slightly scooped out mids, but i only tend to realize this with some tracks.

i use both at work and switch between them quite often, i prefer the a700 for more subtle music (vocals especially - but generally when i want to try and hear every nuance). i think the grados lack that subtlety, but make up for it in forward presentation and immediacy of attack (rock music).

i enjoy them both for what they offer.

Apr 27, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by eight08
i have the sr60 and the a700. they are completely different sound signatures imo. compared to the a700, the grados have a very sweet midrange and upper mids in general. faster attack too. i dont find them at all bright or harsh, as many seem to regard grados in general. they lack the airiness or what i percieve as a "soundstage" that the a700 has.

to me, the a700 is all about clarity and has the ability to go very low (bass). they do seem a bit unbalanced with a slightly scooped out mids, but i only tend to realize this with some tracks.

i use both at work and switch between them quite often, i prefer the a700 for more subtle music (vocals especially - but generally when i want to try and hear every nuance). i think the grados lack that subtlety, but make up for it in forward presentation and immediacy of attack (rock music).

i enjoy them both for what they offer.

I agree with what eight08 said wholeheartedly, although I have not auditioned an A700, I own the A900 for about a month now. I use the SR60 as more of a 'rock-out' headphones on the go. A900 is great for vocals, especially female vocals, because make the track very fine and echoy.

Just my two cents,

Best of luck,
Overlunge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back