Grado SR60 or Senn HD-555
Sep 7, 2006 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Razoramus

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for my next pair of cans and have narrowed it down to these two, I can't try them out thoroughly at a store so I just wanted some opinions. I enjoy the great highs and strong but not muddy bass of the Koss KSC75s and was recommended the Grados, however I've read that the Grados lack the soundstage and perhaps transparency of the Koss. I enjoy the balance in my Senn HD201s and MX500s, just wish the 201s had more extended bass and treble but read in one of the reviews that the HD-555s were on the dark side and I like my cans bright rather than dark. With that in mind please recommend a can for me. Thanks in advance.

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 11
senn hd555, I've owned the sr60 and compared both SIDE by Side, hd555 hands down. Of course some grado fans will object. Even I felt the hd55 were more exciting then the sr60. Much better sound stange

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 11
I've got the SR-60's, and if you're listening to rock, then they'll suit you just fine. And they do have a bright presentation, but I love it, they don't sound harsh to me.

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 11
What's more important to you -- bright sound or soundstage? The SR60s should be bright enough for you, but they definetly will lack in the soundstage department compared to other headphones. I found the sound of the SR80s to be very forward and in my head compared to other headphones. If you really value soundstage, then I suggest you look elsewhere. Otherwise, the Grados should be fine.

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 11
It kind of does seem like you're looking for a mix between the two. I haven't heard the SR-60s but the bright sound signature is supposedly similar to next model up, the SR-80s, which I do own. I have also spent time with the HD555. If you just outright don't like it dark, I suspect the HD555s are not for you. I also consider the bass on the HD555 muddy. The HD555 does have more soundstage than even my SR-80s but to me it feels unrealistic and inconsistent. My Grado SR-80s are very bright, probably a bit too bright for my tastes but I don't find this bothers me as much as the flaws in the HD555, especially if you're willing to EQ. I don't feel I can recommend the HD555 given the preferences you listed. I know you said you can't listen to them but I wouldn't buy the HD555s without doing so.

Honestly, I don't think either of these two headphones will match exactly what you are looking for. I'm not sure what to otherwise recommend since I haven't personally heard anything in that price range with that mix of characteristics. Given that choice though, I'd go for the SR-60s.

Sep 8, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #7 of 11
Grados lack soundstage, but what small -stage there is, its accurate enough. Instrument separation is very good, and all those sounds confined in small headspace gives very intimate and "headbanging" feeling.

BTW, what "transparency" means in audiophile terms?

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #8 of 11
Go with the HD555 and join the Dark Side !
very_evil_smiley.gif
By the way, I don't even think they sound dark at all (compared to other Senns anyway
tongue.gif
)

Seriously, if you like your sound to be bright, go with Grados. But bright also means painful for my ears, and the SR-60 doesn't seem comfy too.

What you should consider is:

HD555 = Senn sound which many love (somewhat dark, but I see that as a positive IMHO) + Wide soundstage + Comfy
SR-60 = Grado sound which many love (bright, good for you) + Restrained soundstage + Uncomfy

Both are good sounding, and good looking in their own way. They are just too different!

I'd take both!
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #9 of 11
(surprisingly to me) I turned out to love my Grado's, and really enjoy their presentation at times . . . . .
BUT,
I could not live with it as my only/main headphone . . . . they grate on me over time [pun intended] in both comfort and brightness.
Something to consider.

Sep 8, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 11
Despite the HD-555 being darker than the SR-60, I find the treble of the Senn to be sparklier. And of course, the soundstage is bigger. That being said, the HD-555 costs nearly twice as much as the SR-60.

Sep 8, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 11
Out of the two, I'd go HD555. Add the Alessandro MS1 to the mix and I'd probably go MS1. I compared it and the HD55 for a week and overall preferred the MS1. It's really a preference thing though and either are great cans for the price. If you're worried about brightness (it's a problem for me) avoid the SR60/80. As you say you like bright phones maaaaybe the SR60. The HD555 sare not known as dark cans though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back