Grado sr60 or akg 271
Mar 22, 2008 at 8:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

100+ Head-Fier
hi, ive been reading these forums but haven't registered since 1 min ago/ i currently have the px100 shure e2c sennheiser cx300.

im wondering if i should get the sr 60 - $130
akg 271- $220
or akg 240 $175
(prices in australian dollars)
im planning to use these at home but i'd prefer closed int he case of 271 vs 240 since the washing machine is pretty loud. oh and my sound source is a low end $100 creative sound card and the cowon d2 portable audio player.
thanks

can u please state reasons too, thank you very much
(ps. ive used the search button
biggrin.gif
thank u very much)

Mar 22, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #2 of 24
Given that you don't have a headphone amplifier (read more about it in the amp forum), I would recommend getting an SR60 simply because they don't demand one, and sound great out of any sound card or portable audio player.

An amplifier helps driving demanding cans so they will sound their best. Demanding cans can be high impedance (like the higher end senns) or high current demanding cans (like the high end AKG's). The Grados will benefit from an amp, but will sound close to their best without one. The AKG's really need one to sound full and interesting.

One problem with the Grados is their openness. Meaning you will hear your washing machine clearly through these. But on the other side, you will probably hear someone knocking on your door, and the washing machine is not working all the time. If you do want isolation I would recommend an Audio Technica A700 or A500 if you can't afford the A700.

Hope I helped and didn't confuse you anymore than you already were.
oh, and Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about you wallet!
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #3 of 24
sr60 can be easier fit your system now,it does't need a amp but still sound good.

Mar 22, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #4 of 24
As you need isolation, I'd recommend the K271. Very musical fon with very high resolution.

Shouldn't be driven without amp though, but a simple 35$ Cmoy from Ebay (or DIY) should be sufficient. If you can get one with the LM4562 as opamp and a gain factor of 2 as layout, it should sound very good. Such things can be ordered by most Ebay "manufacturers".

Mar 22, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #5 of 24
thanks for the quick replies,
i will look into what a 'headphone amp'.

oh and like what the previous poster said, yeah the washing machine isnt always on but the tv is.. lol and i hate people walking about. But if i get the 271 and get an amp does this mean i cannot use it for my mp3 player?

regarding the sr 60, is it durable? the pieces don't look as shiny as the 271

oh and is there any chance i could place it to my cheapo guitar amp?
there is a 'phones' jacket, not a standard one or for the lead, i have no idea what it is for

damn those cmoy things are expensive 45+20 shipping to australia
frown.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 24
You plug that little amp between player and fon.

Mar 22, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #8 of 24
Wow... those are really different headphones. I love the K271 as a closed headphone but it really does need some juice and isn't the best for all walks of music - the bass is great but has much much less presence than the PX100 and CX300 you have. Grados are completely open. More than the PX100 you have. Try to demo these if possible. And maybe look out for the Denon D1000 as well.

Mar 22, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 24
Sorry, I forgot to mention that you would need a GOOD desktop amp for the K271, without a good amp they are just ok..

I also suggest that you also add the Ultrasone 780s to your list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bashot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow... those are really different headphones. I love the K271 as a closed headphone but it really does need some juice and isn't the best for all walks of music - the bass is great but has much much less presence than the PX100 and CX300 you have. Grados are completely open. More than the PX100 you have. Try to demo these if possible. And maybe look out for the Denon D1000 as well.

Mar 22, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deftoned /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K271 by far! I like them better without an amp than the SR60s.

You might get disappointed with them unamped but with proper amplification they still remain the best closed under $300. They have very close to AD2000 signature, non harsh, detailed without any offensive ups or downs in frequency response. Mids are probably the best you can find in headphones.
BTW, there is a pair with velour pads in FS section.

Mar 22, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the quick replies,
i will look into what a 'headphone amp'.

You could buy a PA2v2 amp from Gary, you can manually change the gain and it 's a great amp for just $60 USD. I use it with my iPod-LOD-PA2v2-K271s and I must say it sounds great
icon10.gif
! And you don't like the amp, you can sell it for almost the same price as you got it for. See Welcome To Electric-Avenues.com !

I haven't heard the SR60 myself so I can't compare but I can say the K271s is very satisfactory. And it does indeed get quite a lot better when it's better amped.

Mar 22, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 24
hi, thanks for the replies.
are there any more people supporting the grado sr 60?
is it less durable than the akg?

Mar 23, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #14 of 24
im still contemplating which one is better,
since if i get the grados which are 150 i might regret it and shouldve spent an extra $50 instead of a future upgrade.
are the grados are a huge advancement compared to the shure e2c or px 100?

Mar 23, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #15 of 24
Never tried the AKG's, thought about it, but if you looking to listen to rock through the pair you get, than I would say Grado SR60. A lot of people say Grados are some of the best for rock and when amped, the SR60's only get better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back