Grado SR60 mod? or SR80?
Jan 18, 2008 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Cal3257

New Head-Fier
Hey all, i would really appreciate some advice on this.
should i get the Grado SR60s and then mod them w/ bowl pads? total cost ~$89-$92?
OR should i just get the Grado SR80s? and not mod them? cost ~$95?
i'm having trouble deciding because the prices end up being so similar. and modding the SR60s would improve comfort. not so sure what it would do to the sound. I know the SR80 has better bass, but i don't really care too much about that.
also, if SR80s are a better option due to similarity in cost...wouldn't it make sense to instead get the alessandro MS-1? total cost ~$99...this line of thinking is making my planned upgrade more and more expensive...>.<

Jan 18, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 12
The bowl pads provide the best sound. The SR-60s and MS-1s come with the comfies which make them sound a little more congested and a little muddy. Even if you purchased the MS-1s, would you still end up getting the bowls? What types of music do you listen to? Do you prefer a sound with more energy and kick (SR-80s) or would you prefer something more laid back? (MS-1)

With the SR-80s, you get an upgraded wire over the SR-60s.

Another option regarding your purchase....if you go through TTVJ.com, you get a $10 discount for being a first time buyer as well as a discount on the Grado line. So for the SR-80s, you're looking at about $75 new, which is a smokin deal.

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 12
If I remember right, only difference between sr60 and sr80 is the pads.. (someone wiser can confirm this.) MS-1 is not a bad choice, myself I prefer it over sr60 (with comfies and 414, haven't heard bowls), because of more neutral sound, although with some music sr60 just rock harder. So it depends on which kind of music you listen and which kind of sound sig you like. None ]of them are bad headphones.

edit. love to be so slow..

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 12
thanx for the responses guys, i listen more to pop.../rock/jazz. a lot of vocals mostly. i think i prefer a more laidback sound, but i haven't really heard either so i'm not sure. i only have px100's now

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 12
If you like Sennheiser sound and you are willing to pay 120-130$, HD580 may satisfy you. You can run them even out of iPod, but amp makes them really sing, and they say HD580/6x0 scale nicely with better equipment. Also as you may know, they share same drivers with HD600. Comparing MS-1 vs. HD580 out of iPod, I like HD's way better, but maybe this is little OT, maybe they are not the thing you are looking for now..
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 12
where can u get 580's for $120-$130 thats what i would like to know

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 12
They are usually around that price used here on the FS forum. Although the prices are heading north to 150 these days. Also, to the OP, if you want something laid back, Grado headphones are NOT for you. They are considered the most punchy, and in your face headphones on the market. Take a look at Sennheiser's offerings, or maybe a pair of akg's.

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 12
i'm currently having a lot of trouble deciding between Grado SR60s (upgrading to bowls) and the Sennheiser HD555s. very different headphones i kno. i just really wanna see what the grado sound is like, very curious about the midrange hump and the detail and the great separation that i've heard about. i think the 555s would be more neutral and greater soundstage tho >.< so difficult...i'm very tempted to just get the SR60s now and then wait a little to also get the 555s, except i'm a poor college student

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #11 of 12
I have both the SR60s and the HD555s. The 555s have a warmer sound and to me feel a little "bassier." The SR60s have a more crisp sound and the bass seems more well defined. They both sound great, just different.

I started with the 555s and was also curious about the Grado sound which led me to the SR60s. For me it would also depend on how you're going to use them. The 555's have a longer cord and one of the large plugs, so I almost use it exclusively with my digital piano. The SR60s have a shorter cord and a stereo mini plug, so I use them at home with my ipod and macbook. I have Westone UM1s that I take on the road with the ipod.

I have also been considering the bowl pads, but figured I've spent enough on headphones for awhile and don't know how big of a difference they will make. Keep in mind that these are my first serious headphones so my experience is limited.

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal3257 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanx for the responses guys, i listen more to pop.../rock/jazz. a lot of vocals mostly. i think i prefer a more laidback sound, but i haven't really heard either so i'm not sure. i only have px100's now

If you can say with some confidence that you do prefer a laidback sound, you may very well end up hating Grados. It'll be best to find a place to try them out first. If you find that you enjoy the sound, then Grado may be for you. Being in the same situation, I would hate to spend alll that money on headphones that I couldn't enjoy. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back