Grado SR60-Can't take it- What's the Next Step?
Oct 20, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #16 of 30
I'm another one who has and loves Grados, but I also have the HD600.

Considering what you're looking for; I don't believe you'll be disappointed with HD600/580.

Oct 20, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #17 of 30
he wants a fun phone and everybody is suggesting 580/595/600?? The 580/600 are supposed to be analytical, and 595 isn't fun either.

I thought the default choice should be the Beyers, 03' version 990, to be exact
wink.gif
Super comfy too!

Oct 20, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #18 of 30
I also agree with senns 580 suggestion. I also started with Grados (225s) and later purchased senns hd600 (similar to the 580s). The senns are much more tame in the highs but has a much more open/bigger soundstage. The senns are also much clearer. Not sure what would be amping your headphones, but I started with a NAD 7140 receiver and later purchased a mapletree amp. The differences between the mapletree and NAD is very minimal. Therefore, if you are planning to use your home system (Rotel/rega and if it has a headphone jack) to drive the headphones, I would highly recommend the 580 and, imo, I do not feel you would need a dedicated headphone amp.

Oct 20, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #19 of 30
I also own a beyer dt990 and I also enjoy and like it a lot. I have DT880 as well as SR225 and MS1 and I still feel recommending a Senn 580/600 fits the bill here a bit better. But if you can afford getting both well do it! I also agree that DT990 is a bit more fun but the Senn is smoother.

Oct 21, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #20 of 30
HD580s (or better 650s) can be great for you, DT990s are also bright. But to my surprise you called sr60 bright while it is probably a bit dark and warm sounding can, perhaps due to its pads called 'comfies'.

Oct 21, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #21 of 30
I love my HD-580s after buying and selling the MS-1s which were way to bright for me (and they also have the comfy pads which helps a little with the brightness). I highly recommend them. I would love to try the HD-650s but they are out of my price range right now.

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #22 of 30
Ok-- Sounds like the 580s are the majority opinion but here's the heart of my concern on them.. I've beem around alot of high end audio and I have heard some of the most expensive/well reviewed precise speakers out there. Unfortunately some of these have literally sucked the LIFE out of the music.

So,
How fun are the 580s?

btw- you guys are awesome- this help is HUGE- THANKS

Oct 22, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you want something groovy, fun yet smooth and not harsh? Sell the SR60 that'll give you $255 to throw around.

K240s + rockhopper mini^3

If thats still too forward and aggressive, then HD580 + mini^3.

I'd go with the AKG (personal preference).

I think this is the best advice in this thread. The HD580s are amazing headphones and definitely not bright, especially compared to the SR60s. You might also like the K240s which are not bright but still 'fun'. The HD580s are not, IMO, analytical at all, but they also don't have 'fun' emphasized bass and treble. I'd say they're fun when the music is fun, but you might feel otherwise so I'd give it some thought. On the other hand, if you can find a pair for cheap you would probably have no trouble selling them for near cost if you decide you don't like them.

jess

Oct 22, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #24 of 30
You may consider Audio Technica ATH A500/700/900
In my opinion their character is somewhat between the upfront Grado's and laid-back Sennheisers - very good allrounders.
They are big and closed-back however.
I'd personally go for them.

Another closed-back candidate could be the AKG K271's, though it probably needs a good amp.
Very good with vocals and not as laid-back as most Sennheisers.

For open types I could recommend:
Sennheiser HD595's or maybe you can find the HD590's - both seem (according to most on this forum) more upfront and livelier than other Sennheisers.

Audio Technica ATH AD500/700/900
From a sound-stage-perspective they beat the closed versions, but lack the warmth of the closed types, in my opinion that is.

Oct 22, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he wants a fun phone and everybody is suggesting 580/595/600?? The 580/600 are supposed to be analytical, and 595 isn't fun either.

My HD580's are definitely not what I would call analytical. Not by a long shot. My ER6i's (sold) were what I would consider analytical. Aside from being an IEM vs full sized, they were just totally different presentations of music. The HD580's are fun and easy to listen to. Great headphones. I like an analytical headphone just fine, but that's not a trait I would attribute to the HD580's. Nope.

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #26 of 30
I'll add to the confusion a bit and throw out the AKG K601 as an option too! I think they've got a lot of the groovy and fun SR60 sound, with a similar midrange emphasis, without being nearly as bright as the Grados. They've also got a much wider soundstage, and they're a great deal airier too. I find that the bass of the K601 is not nearly as impactful, although it's still quite respectable.

Personally, I like a brighter sound signature, and, as much as I love them, I find the K601 a little frustrating to listen to because a lot of instruments lack the "bite" that my other headphones give them, but they might be just what you need.

I suppose that amplification would be a problem, though, as they are higher impedance and benefit from a dedicated amp.

Oct 23, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #28 of 30
Sounds like Senns for you. 595s w/o an amp, and 580s with an amp.

Oct 23, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #29 of 30
If you like the overall sound of the Grado SR60's but find them too bright, you might try a pair of flat pads from TTVJ that will tame the highs and add to the bass a little. Cheaper than a new pair of phones.

Personally, I did not find the Comfies that harsh (I actually prefer the bowl pads) but the flats just might do the trick. Grado's are very sensitive to the pads, and there are a number of options available. Just do a search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back