Grado SR60/80 suitable for R900?
Jul 27, 2002 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Mystyler

500+ Head-Fier
Would an R900 with no headphone amp be able to drive a pair of these properly?

What are your thoughts on these 'phones, are they a worthy upgrade over some D22s?

I ask on behalf of my friend.
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2002 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 19
The SR60 is just about doable - but you won't be doing these phones any favours.

I tried it once on the N1/N707 and was completely underwhelmed. I've just plugged it in to the E501 (same output as the R900) to refresh my 'phone memory'.

You certainly aren't getting the best possible sound out of the SR60 although in a quiet area the sound is clear, but curiously unsatisfying. The 60's can do a heck of a lot better than this.

Bear in mind that the phones are open, and you'd have to crank up the volume to hear anything if you're in anything but a deathly quiet area, this is a recipe for disaster IMHO.

If you're worried about things like this as well - you're gonna have to cut the plug. Grado plugs have a lip around the end of the barrel, which gets in the way when plugging into a Sony remote. You have to cut off a portion of this lip in one area so that the plug can go in properly.

The 80's would be even less pleasing, I would imagine.

Jul 27, 2002 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 19
Mystyler
Some where alone the line you will get a portable amp and then have the power that you want. I might get a new portable amp and sell my total airhead cheep.

Jul 27, 2002 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 19
In my opinion, out of that portable, the Koss KSC-35 sound better than both the SR60 and SR80, plus they're more comfortable and more portable...

Just something to think about.

Jul 28, 2002 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 19
Thanks for the input, guys.
So to get the best, an amp would be required?

And without an amp, the 35s are the way to go? Would they sound better than the D22s?

Jul 28, 2002 at 7:00 AM Post #6 of 19
lol...if you mean a rega RB900 tonearm with rega P25 base...then heck no! If you mean a sony MZ-R900, then I recommend you go with the 60. Seriously though...you should consider closed headphones for portable MD use.

Jul 28, 2002 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Mystyler
Thanks for the input, guys.
So to get the best, an amp would be required?

And without an amp, the 35s are the way to go? Would they sound better than the D22s?

The prob with the Koss and the Grado is that you won't be able to hear them properly half the time if you're walking around.

I'd debate the comfort or the security of the non-huge-headbanded Koss units apart from the 55 (as far as security is concerned), but the Koss 35 or the 50 (And I'm sure the 55, but I haven't tried those) would sound less 'strained' than the Grado.

Jul 29, 2002 at 8:02 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse

The prob with the Koss and the Grado is that you won't be able to hear them properly half the time if you're walking around.

Crap.
What then, would be a good set of cans, that don't let to much sound in or out? V6s?

Jul 29, 2002 at 8:25 AM Post #9 of 19
I've only heard the 7506 out of a headphone amp so can't fully confirm their 'portability'. Although at 63ohm impedance and 106db/mw I'd say it's doable out of an R900...

They probably won't sound as strained as the Grados (lower impedance but also much lower sensitivity) but it's borderline once again - don't expect anything really loud.

Something more matched to the capabilities of the Sony amp would be, I imagine, something like the Beyer 821 and the Sennheiser 212 Pro, with the 212 seeming better in terms of spec and looks - I have yet to try either though.

I'm actually going thru the same choices myself in recommending a phone to my friend with the ex-my N707. I'm going to see if there's anywhere I can listen to both.

Jul 29, 2002 at 12:34 PM Post #10 of 19
Mystyler
HI: there are other choices for portable isolation with out spending lots of money. Sony ex70lp,aiwa vx100 rado shack 33-1991 plus slicound. I think that all of these are under 40.00. These are all real small also.

Jul 29, 2002 at 2:05 PM Post #11 of 19
Magicthyse, cheers for the 212s and 821s. I'll take a look at them, and still look at the V6s, but the long coiled cord is a bit off-putting. Any other options? No amp+R900+want good phones=tricky.

LTUCCI1924, thanks for the recommendation, I suggested the Aiwas to him (they seem to have a good reputation), but he is bent on some actual cans.
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2002 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 19
Very tricky. Another friend has an R700PC and he was hell bent on a phone first - a V700 as it happens - but I dangled an EX70 in front of him and he's now never to be seen without it. So you may be able to persuade him towards some canalphones like the EX70 and VX100.

[V700 alert]

As for another phone I'll recommend, it depends on what music he listens to really. A V700 for example is a fun phone to listen to for dance and nu-metal music but it can get wearing with other music.

The fact that the V700's get ragged on here excessively may be due to the fact that these guys are all powering them from HP amps and home systems - it sounds, well, a bit bad in that mode compared to other phones. But take a look at it's impedance and sensitivity specs and you'll see exactly why I like to use it on my low-powered E501 and D-CJ01. Stick one on a similarly low-powered unit like the R900, and it's a hoot. It's overpriced surely for what it is, but do I care? Can you convincingly respray an HD280 in silver? No.

[/V700 alert]

Jul 29, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

I really have to disagree with this. First, if you're "walking around" I really question the sanity of wearing closed headphones -- you're just asking to get nailed by that car you never heard coming.

But even aside from the safety factor, I walk around San Francisco with the KSC-35 all the time, at safe (for my ears) volumes, and they sound great. Am I going to be able to hear every tiny detail? No, but then again, if I wanted that, I'd be sitting at home with the big rig
wink.gif

Quote:

I'd debate the comfort or the security of the non-huge-headbanded Koss units apart from the 55 (as far as security is concerned)

By "security" do you mean "will they stay on?" If so, the Koss Porta/KSC series are among the most secure headphones I've tried with the exception of the KSC-50 (which fall of easily). The KSC-35 clips are secure enough to actually play active sports while wearing them. The Porta/SportaPros grip your temples and ears quite hard, while the KSC-55 leave permanent marks in your heads after you pry them off
wink.gif
I wouldn't worry about any of these headphones falling off.

Jul 30, 2002 at 6:50 AM Post #14 of 19
Depends on where you are at. I travel a lot on commuter trains, subway, etc and I can tell you that the KSC's are impossible to hear in many situations. Either way, "more-or-less closed" phones make more sense for urban listening, as long as you're not going to ride a bike or whatever.

Jul 30, 2002 at 7:44 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Depends on where you are at. I travel a lot on commuter trains, subway, etc and I can tell you that the KSC's are impossible to hear in many situations.

Very true; on the NYC subway and BART in the Bay Area, it's pretty difficult to hear the KSC-35 or other "open headphones" very well. On the other hand, the SF Muni subways are much quieter.

Quote:

Either way, "more-or-less closed" phones make more sense for urban listening, as long as you're not going to ride a bike or whatever.

Well, again, I think that's too general. If, by "urban listening" you mean riding on the subway, sure. But for any other "urban" listening -- walking around the city, etc., I'd much rather have an open headphone. They're much more comfortable, but more importantly they're much safer (both from vehicles and crime).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back