Grado SR325x - soundstage as big as HD800s*?
Jun 17, 2021 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
*When using the SR325x with Grado G pads instead of the stock pads it comes with.

DMS the well-known YouTube reviewer has made the bold statement that *with the large donut 'Grado G pads' instead of the stock earpads, that the new Grado SR325x has a soundstage that 'rivals that of the HD800s' which he has on hand and has compared them to...

Can anyone corroborate that?

I'm not sure it's feasible - I have the SR325e and have tried it with the G pads, and it makes the soundstage a bit wider than stock... but still not very wide. So, either DMS is talking ^*%^ or the SR325x naturally has a lot more soundstage than the SR325e

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 6
*When using the SR325x with Grado G pads instead of the stock pads it comes with.

DMS the well-known YouTube reviewer has made the bold statement that *with the large donut 'Grado G pads' instead of the stock earpads, that the new Grado SR325x has a soundstage that 'rivals that of the HD800s' which he has on hand and has compared them to...

Can anyone corroborate that?

I'm not sure it's feasible - I have the SR325e and have tried it with the G pads, and it makes the soundstage a bit wider than stock... but still not very wide. So, either DMS is talking ^*%^ or the SR325x naturally has a lot more soundstage than the SR325e
It's not. Moving the drivers further away from your ears does make it feel like it has more 'space' when using the G Cush pads, but it's definitely not as wide nor as layered as the HD800s.

Jun 18, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 6
Soundstage width or stereo image experience can be wide but very different.

I used to think when people said this had "wiiiiiiiiiiiiide" soundstage I would hear sounds like 10 feet away LoL, but its like an inch more each way.

A member let me try his K1K which was "wide" but more importantly it had this immersive quality; and I had the Mdr-F1 which also was similar. Only the K1K was adjustable.

The AKG 701/702/712 is wide but there is imbalance on depth. It's a bit wacky tabacky, less so on the 712 though.

The member who let me try his K1K, also let me demo Rs2, and it was a new experience w/ those G cushions. The wooden tube and the openess of the foam pads.

I don't know what DMS says. Actually I do, I did watch the review. But the Rs2 w/ the G cush to me seemed pretty damn wide, and there was depth. But there was also a gap in the image at times where it seems like the 3 blob. And other times, it was coherent and spacious 3D'ish. I enjoy comparing them to my Sigmas at the same time, as they both have a weird way of conveying the music in this 3D way.

YMMV and my ears suck anyway.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 6
or the SR325x naturally has a lot more soundstage than the SR325e
Whether a lot or not is purely subjective. However, for me 325X definitely provide wider and more spacious soundstage compare to 325e. Even with flat pad, that suppose to "suppress" soundstage width and make everything more forward, 325X clearly project wider imaging compare to 325e with bowl pad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back