Grado SR325is -> Sennheiser 650?
Mar 4, 2010 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

DaeO

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all - need some general advise, ideally from people who have heard both of these (which I'm hoping there are a lot of you
icon10.gif
).

After 'enrolling' last year on here, my first serious headphone purchase was the Grado 325is, just as the silver came back out.

The Senn 650 have since caught my eye, as I would like something a little more comfy, plus something that will complement the Grado's, rather than just be like them in a different 'phone.

I have had no joy with Senn in the past - I've had the PX100 for years, but they always pull my hair out when I'm lying down, and had 2 sets of the cheaper iems, but have broke very quickly (within weeks, literally!).

So, are the 650's a good purchase to add to my collection (of 1!) and complement the 325's?

Just for completness, I listen to a wide range of music, except for rap, heavy metal and classical. I listen to CD's mostly, but have 120gb of lossless files on my ipod, with a Graham Slee Voyager for company!

Thanks
beerchug.gif

David

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 31
It's a very good compliment but also very different from the 325is (yes I have/do own both). Some days I like one sound over the other or some genres are better with each. If you can do it, buy one used and try it.

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 31
I bought my 650s to compliment my rs1, and have had the 325is, Personally, I think the 650s are lovely cans - brilliant partners for grados. As has already been stated though, amping is very important for them.

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 31
I own both and together they can cover a wide selection of music. It's difficult understanding how a person could like two opposites like these but I sure do. Variety is the key for me, with music and headphones.

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #7 of 31
Thanks for all your views - these are just what I hoped, but not my wallet!

beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 31
I own both the hd650 and the RS1i. I have spent many hours with the SR325i and also the SR225i.

That being said, I think the HD650 is a perfect compliment... in fact, I find it is a better all arounder than the RS1i. Out of the two, I reach for the HD650 about 70% of the time.

Amping is an issue though... if not juiced properly, you will probably wonder what all the fuss is about with the senns and regret your purchase.

I find that the hybrid amps work well with both the Senns and Grados. I have a Millett Minimax Hybrid which I love with both cans but some other amps I have heard people like are the SOHA2 and the MadEAR+.

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 31
Agree...the HD650 would be a wonderful compliment to your Grados. Check the forums here for them.

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 31
I don't think the Voyager would be a great match for the HD650's.
My Solo SRG is decent but still outclassed with the Senns by the Woo6se.

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by nigeljames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the Voyager would be a great match for the HD650's.
My Solo SRG is decent but still outclassed with the Senns by the Woo6se.

Aren't these desktop amps tho? I listen through my CD system mostly, and the voyager for a bit of portability around the house. I'm not sure I'm ready for desktops just yet
beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #12 of 31
Sorry thought the Voyager was your primary system.
You only mention your ipod and not your computer but I can say that with my X-fi titanium card, and plugged into the headphone out on my Logitech Z2300 speakers, the HD650's sound better than through my Solo. I use the crystalline software feature to sharpen and brighten the sound and they sound VERY GOOD.

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #13 of 31
Hello everybody, this thread is very interesting for my indecisions!
biggrin.gif

I have a question for you all: what do you mean with "complement"? something completely different or something that is meant to do the same things and does it in its own way? IOW, the Sennheiser HD650's sound is somehow similar/alternative to the Grado's one or not?

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by nigeljames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry thought the Voyager was your primary system.
You only mention your ipod and not your computer but I can say that with my X-fi titanium card, and plugged into the headphone out on my Logitech Z2300 speakers, the HD650's sound better than through my Solo. I use the crystalline software feature to sharpen and brighten the sound and they sound VERY GOOD.

confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back