Grado SR325is --> PS500. Worth the upgrade?
Jan 2, 2014 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

controllerboy

New Head-Fier
Hello.

I've been a long time lurker here, but decided to register since I want to start taking part in the discussions and helping other people with my knowledge and experiences of Hi-Fi Headphones.

But first, may I ask you to help me with one decision I've been quite troubled with the last few days.
I have quite a few headphones: Sony MDR-7506's, Beyerdynamic DT 231's, Beyerdynamic DT-770 pro's (80ohm), AIAIAI TMA-1 Studio's, Sennheiser HD-25-1's and last but not least a pair of Grado 325is. The Grados were the last pair of headphones to join my collection and I love them a lot. In fact, my other headphones are gathering dust, except for the AIAIAI's and HD-25's for portable use. Indoors I'm always using my Grados. I use them in the following setups:

Computer -> Fiio E17 Alpen DAC - Grado sr325is
Custom Technics 1210MK2 with Grado Black cartridge/needle -> ART DJ Pre 2 -> Fiio E09k -> Grado sr325is

I listen almost exclusively to (post)rock, but now and then some classical music pops up too.

Before I got these I owned the 125's but sold those when I saw these 325is up for a bargain. I am absolutely fond of them and like them much better than the 125s. People around here always say the highs are piercing, the mids are harsh etc but I don't agree at all and love listening them for hours on end. 

However, Is ee an offer not too far away from me where a guy is selling off almost brand new PS500's for an awesome price, but I'd still have to sell the 325is to have the money required. So now my question is: should I do it? I will only be paying about 100 euros more for the PS500's than I am able to sell my 325is for, but is it an upgrade? Does the PS500 still have the typical Grado sound? Is there anything the PS500 lacks the 325is excels in?

Thank you for your time.

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 8
Ps500 are probably technically superior, but based on how they measure I think we have to agree that they also have a different sound signature. If you love the 'traditional grado sound' this can sound quite dark to your ears.

Best you can do is to ask (to people who have owned both) if Sr325 and Ps500 really differ as much as their measurements.

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 8
  Thank you for the answers, you three :)

So, any people who own or have owned both? What were the differences according to you?

Thank you.

The PS500's still have the Grado type sound but as far as Grado's go they're a bit more balanced in my opinion. The main difference is it doesnt emphasize the highs as much as a lot of the other Grado models and has a better bass response. Where the 325i's can sound very harsh at times the PS500's are much smoother. The wood inners also give music much better timbre. After trying the SR225i, SR325i, RS1i and PS500 i ended up going with the PS500's. Honestly they're probably not worth the retail price and they're definitely not twice as good as the 325i's. If you have cash to burn or can get them at a cheaper price i say go for it otherwise stick with your 325i's.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 8
I can't say specifically as I've neglected to listen to the 325 or PS500 even though my local shop has both.  But I own a set of 225s and just spent some time listening to the PS1000 earlier today.  I wasn't too keen on the PS1000 sound, the bass was on the heavy side and felt somewhat bloated and uncontrolled.  I didn't find it balanced well to the treble.

And the freq response curves show the 1000s to have more highs than the 500s.  I don't think I'd do it myself, but it may work well for you.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 8
  Ps500 are probably technically superior, but based on how they measure I think we have to agree that they also have a different sound signature. If you love the 'traditional grado sound' this can sound quite dark to your ears.

Best you can do is to ask (to people who have owned both) if Sr325 and Ps500 really differ as much as their measurements.

I haven't heard PS500, but I'm familiar with that chart and it's the only Grado chart that looks really unGrado-like. I suspect that particular chart is off.

tomb's arithmetic works only if you want more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back