Grado SR325i portable?
Oct 9, 2006 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13
Hey, just wondering if it is possible to use the Grado portable? In other words, do they leak a lot of sound? (Usable in a library?) and are they solid/small enough to carry around?

Thanks a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

Joe

PS: I will be using them on an Ipod
rolleyes.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 13
trans-portable.. maybe if you have a nice travel case.

portable, I say no. too big, heavy and bulky. IMHO. I tried my MS2 and it was just too awkward.

Garrett

Oct 9, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 13
Transportable, Not totally portable. You have to carry a bag with you to store them. I don't think they are too bulky because I used to carry and use full sized headphones for portable.
Only problems with the Grado's are the cables, you have to be careful to not let the cup spin around or else the cable will be all twisted.
Another thing is they leak out a lot of what your playing and leak in a ton of background noise.

Oct 9, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 13
For use in the library... no, no, no. All grados leak masses of sound, and you would be very unpopular in the library very quickly. Something else that would be big and comfy as a home can, but closed so possible for the library (although dorky) would be the ath a900.

Just an idea.

Oct 9, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 13
Hi Joe.

I think the GradoSR325i's wouldn't be great for portable use.

Especially in the Latymer Upper School Library.

As a wise friend once told you, stick to the Sennheiser PX series.

Plus the SR325is have gold plating and look stupid.

Come one msn.
basshead.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 13
Woah! I find them too heavy and unstable for even swiveling in my computer chair!

Walking with these things?

Not without a neck brace!
very_evil_smiley.gif

...yeah; I'm exagerating! But no; My MS2i are a bit big, heavy and bulky as well.

Just sitting in a library may be ok since they do pivot flat to fit easily in a bag for transporting, but they do leak enough sound that yeah, they may annoy other patrons.

Oct 9, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
Woah! I find them too heavy and unstable for even swiveling in my computer chair!

Walking with these things?

Not without a neck brace!
very_evil_smiley.gif

LOL

Like everyone else noted, they're too heavy, uncomfortable (bowls), leaky and definitely awkward. I had them on me in the car and people would give me strange looks. They do look awesome and very cool though! Purely from a stylistic point of view - YES! From a practical point of view - hell no
tongue.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 13
Yeah, it'd work, but certainly not usable in the library or any other loud public place (or space you need to be quiet in). I wore MS2i portably for a while, and they definitely work very well directly out of an iPod (though benefit immensely from amping).

Oct 9, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #13 of 13
I've used my 325i phones at work without problems. Then again, I'm not going for short- or long-term tinnitus. They do leak sound both in and out, much more so than my HD650s. So, your volume level, the sensitivity of those around, ambient noise, and other factors of your surroundings may predicate whether the Grados will work for you in a library / setting with others around.

I use Xin's SM-IV portable amp with the Grados at work. I find Xin's amp quite portable friendly; however, I'm not sure the 325i headphones are anywhere near my personal ideal for portability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back