Grado SR325i - Initial impressions...
Jan 12, 2006 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

jagged

100+ Head-Fier
Just got my 325i's today. I'd have to say that I'm pretty impressed with what I'm hearing...

I'm not having any comfort issues that other peoeple have talked about, the band is a comfortable fit and the pads rest nicely on my ears.

The only thing I'm wondering is why I'm getting a headache... maybe I'm not used to it yet?

All in all, I am very impressed with this. Going through an unamped source, it still sounds great. Through an amp it's even better. I'm glad I went Grado.

Thanks everyone!

Jan 12, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagged
The only thing I'm wondering is why I'm getting a headache...

Be sure to keep the volume low.. as low as you can go and still get the full impact
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats on getting a fine gem in the Grado lineup!

Jan 12, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 20
Ahhh congrats. I've been drooling over the 325i.. it's so lurvely.. Do you have any experience with the 225? I was wondering what the difference was.. Supposedly more bass.. hmm...
confused.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 20
I also just recieved the 325i, however, I got mine a) used (thus broken in) and b) with c-pads. My biggest complaint about Grado headphones was comfort, and the c-pads are the remedy once you bend the headband to your head.

Yes, they are impressive. Be careful with that high end and Grado bass. You want to be able to hear all of that lovely detail for decades, not years or god forbid, months.

Jan 12, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1
Got a set for Christmas. I really wonder how much better the RS-1's sound now.......I don't know how much better you could get......

I wondered this a year or two ago and posted a topic about it and most people said that they were mostly a side step from the sr-325. They sound a tiny bit "better" but mostly its a matter of taste.

Jan 12, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 20
I'm not quite sure whether the headache bit is because of the sonic qualities of the sr325i. I'm actually down with the flu and am a bit nauseas so that might also be a contributing factor.

This is my first pair of audiophile cans, I'm glad I got them, the only other pair of audiophile cans I've tried are the older SR325.

Maybe I'll overcome the headaches after I get better and get used to it?

I haven't been purposely burning them in, but I am noticing some distortion on the low-end in the bass. Will this clear up?

Jan 12, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 20
I got a pair of MS2i's and HF-1's recently, and I'm trying to decide which pair to keep, but I'm a little freaked out at what they seem to be doing to my ears. They're pretty sore. I don't even get that type of fatigue from IEM's, so it is a little concerning...

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #10 of 20
Congrats on the purchase! I'm also in the market for a pair of SR325i/MS2i. Are the headbands on the SR325i/MS2i leather? Also, how heavy are the alloy cups?

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 20
"Congrats on the purchase! I'm also in the market for a pair of SR325i/MS2i. Are the headbands on the SR325i/MS2i leather? Also, how heavy are the alloy cups?"

The headbands on both on leather, although the band is not as wide as on the RS1/PS1. The metal cups are heavier than the plastic or wood models, but not uncomfortably so. If weight is an issue for you the older non-(i) 235/MS2 models are lighter, and sometimes turn up on the FS: board.

- augustwest

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Congrats on the purchase! I'm also in the market for a pair of SR325i/MS2i. Are the headbands on the SR325i/MS2i leather? Also, how heavy are the alloy cups?

Reassuringly thick, sturdy leather - tactile in a positive way.
My MS2is are noticeably heavier than my SR80s (which now feel like super lightweights), but not uncomfortable.

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones
I got a pair of MS2i's and HF-1's recently, and I'm trying to decide which pair to keep, but I'm a little freaked out at what they seem to be doing to my ears. They're pretty sore. I don't even get that type of fatigue from IEM's, so it is a little concerning...

What pads are you using with them? I find the bowls to provide a too-bright sound and comfort tends to be an issue with long-term listening (esp. for someone who wears glasses). The flats take care of these issues, even if soundstage gets even more compressed.

Cheers!

Jan 12, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #14 of 20
I contribute the headaches, which I also get when listening to my 325i, to harsh highs. What amp are you using?

I noticed that when using my Millet Hybrid, I can listen longer before I get a headache. I love my 325i, but hate the headaches.

Jan 12, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #15 of 20
funny,,sometimes i get headaches too but i thought it was due to headband pressure.....as i get similar headaches when i wear glasses that are too tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back