Grado SR325i compared to SR80 and RS2?
Jun 3, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #16 of 25
My take on the RS-2 vs. 325i...

Both have about the same amount of detail
The RS-2 is warmer with fuller mids. The 325i is brighter and sounds more aggressive. On some songs the 325i can be too harsh, but on the majority there's no problem. The bass is about the same on both. And someone said the 325i is echo-y, well mine isn't.

Because of the fuller mids, to me the RS-2 'sounds' better. However, the most important aspect of music\headphones to me is how well it sucks me into the music and lets me forget about the sound. For that the 325i does it better than the RS-2.

Both are using reversed bowls. I listen to them with the iMod and Xin SM-III, which let me fine tune the sound to how I want. I use the 'Rock' EQ setting for the RS-2's and the 'Acoustic' EQ settings for the 325i.

Jun 3, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by yossi126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EQ settings are in my opinion artificial and present a false character of cans.
Maybe some decibles here and there but presets are not to my liking.

The iPod with the EQ off sucks in my opinion. And the only listenable EQ settings for me are Rock, Acoustic, and Treble Boost, the others just degrade the sound in my opinion. Those three make the music sound clearer than with the EQ off. On the Rock and Acoustic settings I haven't heard a source I like better than the iMod.

And as far as EQ settings presenting a false character of the cans... how can you say what the true character is, since they sound different with every amp and source combination. What amp\source combination shows the 'true' character? And why do you care about the 'true character'? Me, I just want the best sound for me. If the EQ sounds better to me, then it is better to me. Maybe not for you, but for me. And vice-versa.

Jun 4, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #19 of 25
Thanks for all your replies. Yeah, hard decision, and I might also switch manufacturer, K701 sound interesting too...

bdh: What is it exactly that makes the SR325i suck you into the music?

Jun 4, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #21 of 25
the 325i, in traditional grado fashion, is simply very engaging. it presents the music very upfront, which might sound like just head-fi lingo, but put on a pair of sennheisers after listening to a pair of grados and you'll know what we're talking about. the music is presented as if you're in the same room as the recording artist. it's not laid back (though a lot of that depends on the recording. i was listening to a recording of Debussy's La Mer on the 325i and it did not give off a claustrophobic feeling like you'd assume it would, given the above description), but presents the music as if it's happening right here, right now.

put simply, don't buy grados expecting sonic wallpaper.

Aug 13, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by balou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all your replies. Yeah, hard decision, and I might also switch manufacturer, K701 sound interesting too...

bdh: What is it exactly that makes the SR325i suck you into the music?

If 10k people would post their opinions off this you'd still be in the same confusion. My advise is just to buy 2 or 3 pair of diffenrent house sounds like ( HD650, K701 and SR-325i) and just see which you like best.

Aug 13, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by zer061zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am sorry to go OT but does anyone know anything about the 325. and is there any distintive differences btw the 325 and the 325i

"What does the i stand for in the new SR325i from Grado? Improved, that’s what! Yes, Grado has taken one of the world’s most acclaimed headphones and taken it a few steps further. The new SR325i has an upgraded driver design, and they have enlarged and improved the mass distribution in the metal housing. The way the SR325i’s new driver and metal housing move air and react to sound vibrations are now less affected by transient distortions. With the SR325i you will notice improved control of the upper and lower range of the frequency spectrum with both better supporting Grado’s world renowned midrange. And why the Gold color? The new SR325i is in honor of their 50th anniversary celebrated recently. The SR325i will produce a sound that is pure Grado, warm harmonic color, rich full bodied vocals, excellent dynamics and an ultra smooth top end." - not by me. 2007

Aug 13, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #25 of 25
"If 10k people would post their opinions off this you'd still be in the same confusion. My advise is just to buy 2 or 3 pair of diffenrent house sounds like ( HD650, K701 and SR-325i) and just see which you like best."

He really enjoyed the RS-2s, BUT he doesn't have enough money for them.. how much more for 3 $300+ cans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back