Grado SR325 - Smeared Highs?
Nov 3, 2001 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kato

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a set of Grado SR325 headphones. The retailer carried both the HD-600s and the 325s, so I had the opportunity to demo both at the same time. It was a difficult decision but I ended choosing the Grados.

I listen to the 325s plugged directly into my Sony SCD-333es SACD player (it has a volume control) and have played them for about 30 hours so far (much of the time without listening - just to break them in).

I have two observations:

1. These headphones appear to smear some higher frequencies so the actual source of the sound (i.e. instrument) is unrecognizable. For example, on the second track of Diana Krall's "Only Trust Your Heart" an intermittant "hissing" can be heard - the sound is actually of smeared cymbols. This is quite distracting. This smearing is evident even on SACD titles.

2. The headphones seem to be getting better with time (a little more "mellow") but the smeared high freq. info is not getting any better.

Overall, I am happy with the SR325s, and at times I hear things that I didn't know existed on my favorite recordings. However, at other times, I find the sound lacking is some sense which makes me wonder if I should of chinned up to a more expensive pair such as the RS-1 or RS-2.

Has anyone had a similar "smearing" problem? Is this just a typical problem with mid price range phones. I am wondering if I just got a bad set.

Many thanks.

Nov 3, 2001 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 5
Welcome to Head-Fi, kato!
I'm not sure I understand the word "smearing", as you describe it. How are the vocals? Any sibilance? Having both the 325s and Rs-1s at my disposal, I can tell you that the 325s, to my ears, provide greater detail in the higher frequencies than do the RS-1s. Thus, they tend to emphasize any sibilance which may be present in the recording. Since I don't have your source component, I can't comment on how that might influence the sound. Maybe someone else can.

Nov 3, 2001 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 5
depends on the quality of recordings... it doesn't smear, kinda lets you hear all the detail, and doens't absorb any of it.

That's why sometimes with vocals, you get the ssssing and the tttsssss sounding..

well... I suggest trying the donut pads or the comfort pads and you may be more happy with the results...
the bowls just pull the ears a bit too far away from the driver, and it causes the detail to come in very sharply, as well as it make the bass a little less noticiable, but makes it a bit punchier...
I still prefer the older donuts by far...

Nov 3, 2001 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 5
Many thanks everyone for the replies and advice.

With regard to vocals, I am very impressed by the Grados - I don't get any of the "ssss" that I have certainly noticed when listening to some speakers (some of the B&W products come to mind here). For example, Ani Difranco's version of Springsteen's Used Cars on Badlands (A Tribute to Nebraska) is exceptional with the Grados.

The "smeared" highs (as I have characterized it) appears to me as a lack of definition of those high frequencies.

With regard to the SCD-333es and its headphone output, that issue has certainly crossed my mind. I am in the process of upgrading my system (components that are a result of a university student budget will be replaced), and an amp with a good headphone output is a critical element in my choice of an amp.

I have my eye on a Cary SLI-80 because of (among other things) its good headphone output. However, price and the Canadian dollar makes it a tough decision.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back