Grado SR325 & RA1 Random Musings
Feb 27, 2003 at 11:45 AM Post #16 of 38
geom_tol

I agree about the comfort issue. I love the sound, but my ears positively hurt after listening to the 325s for any length of time. Is there any mod that helps?

Feb 27, 2003 at 12:04 PM Post #17 of 38
Yes. Do a search on "Grado Pads" and you'll find enough info to fill a book!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2003 at 3:06 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by tigger
I offer my sincere apologies for my previous post. On second reading, it looks very arrogant and that was not my intention. You are obviously very happy with your chosen purchase and you have every right to be.
The Grado SR325/RA1 is a high quality setup and although not appealing to everyone, it is good value in many ways.and will be around ( just like Grado cartridges ) for a long time.
I believe I'm entitled to an opinion, but that post was uncalled for.

tigger,

I took absolutely no offense to your post whatsoever. IMHO it is important for a forum like this to have well informed (and likely differing) opinions strongly stated in a civil manner. I respect you input and your candor.

Feb 27, 2003 at 8:51 PM Post #20 of 38
With all the comments about the weight of the 325's...you boys would not be apt to enjoying the HP-1000's which are MUCH heavier.

As for the comfort. It is most definitely a personal thing. geom_tol thinks they suck for comfort level...I think they are wonderful (grados as a whole that is, including the HP-1's) but do enjoy the lighter feel of the RS-1's with flat pads. Ironically, I feel HD600's clamp, as does my wife. Different strokes for different folks. Most comfortable headphones for me? MDR-F1's..Etys are actually a very close second...they seem to disappear for me.

OscrDGrch: You have a mighty fine system that will no doubt bring you hours of listening pleasure. Congrats! and enjoy.

Feb 28, 2003 at 3:36 AM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by OscrDGrch

CD's:

Janis Ian - "Breaking Silence"
esp. the title cut. to quote dylan "play it f* loud"

now, having just brought home a pair to replace my dear departed hd600 (only decent phone available from local retailing), about the "comfort" issue. there's more to it. the shape on the hd600 earcup is the only one that makes sense (to humble self). note that if one goes out to your local mega-mart to buy earmuffs (prob. not in FLA, but red necks ain't got no heads, anyway
evil_smiley.gif
) how many shapes do you find?? just that oval thang. why can't headphone makers figure this out?? so the hd600 sits on the head, not the ears.

but it's really too bulky. lying in bed reading is really not possible. and the lack of clamping means that they're always shifting around unless one sits stock still. so the 325 makes some sense. since i'm always in glasses, i can feel them a bit more since the ears pinch on the frame. i expected that. but they stay put. 3 hours and still going.

so far, the head pressure is less distracting the ety ear plugging.

sound --> well, lots more bass. the headroom graphs show a rising top end, but so far i've not found it unnatural (but my hearing must be dropping some high end, since i'm on the hide side of 40). the latest "Waiting for Columbus" is hotter than on the hd600; but it does sound like R&R. keith jarrett sounds better than on the hd600. soundstage is much wider, deeper and detailed; no question. listened to a bit of hilary hahn, and didn't find the violin etched or screechy.

"Standing in the Safety Zone" - Fairfield Four. y'all sound like they're in the room. there's real decay in the tail. i approve.

one thing is, i may be moved to get the New Max since it has that level switch. a 32 ohm phone ain't the same as 300. 9 o'clock on the pot is enough, so there's not much discrimination. was $1333, but it's gone up??
frown.gif

certainly, more detailed, more separation, bigger soundstage, more bass, and you know they're there.

Feb 28, 2003 at 4:03 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
I never had comfort issues with any Grado headphone. I think it has to do with the shape and size of your ears and how the pads sit on them.

Everyone is different, and everything is relative.

=======

The 325s are comfortable on my nice, normal head and ears. I find that their bright/forward character makes them perfect for hearing dialog on TV.

May 13, 2003 at 6:51 PM Post #23 of 38
Overall I'm pretty happy with my 325's. When I compare them to my old sr-80's the 325's certainly show a lot more detail. I noticed this was especially noticeable when I was listening to Metallica - Enter the sandman. The music wasn't nearly as involving with the 80's, and the guitar riff in the middle of the song sounded ridiculously good on the 325's. I can't pinpoint the difference but it just somehow sounds a lot more involving.

However, I notice that I turn down the volume progressively as I listen to the 325's for longer and longer periods of time while usually with the 80's I never used to do that. Could it be the brightness? I don't know if I would call it fatigue. I had x-can v2
s with these grado's and I certainly considered that fatigue, that's a horrible horrible combo in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm glad you like your ra-1. I'm trying to build one, but not getting very far.

May 13, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #24 of 38
...Comfort... Not bad... although I have some vwaps Senn pads coming my way in a couple of weeks... then i'll see about comfort..

I'm cuurently running them with a brand new fully kitted out META42... and, wow... its a damned magical sound
biggrin.gif

Oh... Jeftsang, the SR125s and XCV2 that I had this time last year was a horrible combination, very peaky, and VERY fatuiging... I can sympathise with you
frown.gif

May 13, 2003 at 7:58 PM Post #25 of 38
i just got my ms2-s... but i haven't been able to listen to them cus my 1/4 to mini adapter ain't here yet (my meta will be here in a month and what meta parts config. are you using duncan?)... do they compare to the audio technica w1000? the only time my ms2's hurt is when i have them just right on the rim of my ear... thy squish the cartelige... but that's easy to avoid... they are quite comfy... odd feeling... but comfy... and this is coming from a guy with fairly large ears the stick out a bit.

May 13, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #26 of 38
Merton...

Mine is as follows...

Multi-loop/META42 amp
  1. AD8620 op-amp
  2. Stacked EL2001 buffers
  3. Current source to bias to Class A
  4. Elna Cerafine 470uF/25v PS caps
  5. WIMA 6.8uF/50v reservoir caps
  6. Alps Blue Velvet 50k ohm potentiometer
  7. Cardas gold plated RCA inputs
  8. Vishay/Dale RN55D 1/8w resistors, hand matched
  9. Neutrik 1/4" locking headphone jack
  10. (jacks and sockets treated with) Caig's ProGold

Its only got 3 hours on the clock so far, so still nowhere near burnt in... but already... Wow!
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #27 of 38
i'm not sure... but isn't that an op amp that doesn't go well with grado's? i think i'm thinking of another one.. i can't remeber. ????? no sorry i was thinking of the 823.

May 13, 2003 at 9:54 PM Post #29 of 38
Jeez Duncan, that sure is a maxed out meta. Sounds like my dream amp at my budget. :gurgle: :drool: Did you build it yourself or did you get someone to build it for you? I would wet my pants at the chance to hook up my 325's to that thing. I've got a cha-47 right now but I'm already starting to realize its limitations.

May 13, 2003 at 10:08 PM Post #30 of 38
well what is the best amp for a grado?

I am using a HPA-1 from Audio Alchemy cuz i like the headroom crossfeed,
but
i mean like isn't the cosmo a really good amp? Meta 42?

I liked my hpa-1 better than the RA-1 the Creek, and MF's X-can 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back