Grado SR225i and Fiio E7+E9
Aug 31, 2011 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rafael999

New Head-Fier
I have a question for all of you, knowledgeable people at Head-Fi.org.

I have a Grado Sr225i, which I`m listening on my E7+E9 combo through USB connection. My question is, since the model of Grado I own doesn't need too much amplification, will I be able to notice a huge improvement if I decide to get a more expensive amp/dac setup? 
I honestly think they sound good, although the headphone is not burned in yet, and from what I read it takes about 300 hours.

Another question would be, if I decided to go with a tube amp (thinking about Little Dot), I'm gonna need a DAC still, right? Is the E7+Little Dot a good combination?

Any guidance would be very appreciated.

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 4
I noticed a nice improvement on my old RS2 when I went from the E7/E9 to the MS2+ DAC and the Burson HA-160. but i noticed very little difference between the E9 and an Asgard.

E7 is a decent Dac but if you can you could replace it with, for example, the MS2 (or MS2+ if you can afford it). I noticed a nice increase in percussion impact when i replaced the E7 with the MS2+ (but kept the E9 in the mix).

There are, of course, more versatile Dacs than the MS2 so you may be interested in something else if you are upgrading your system.

none of these upgrades are huge but they are nice little bumps that might be worthwhile. perhaps the SR225 will benefit less than the RS2 or HF2 did for me.

Sep 1, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 4
I guess it is wiser to spend more on the headphone upgrade rather than the amp for now. The SR225i will benefit little from amp/dac upgrade for the money you spent for a more decent dac/amp system. IMO, i would say upgrade ur phone to a RS2i/RS1i first, the equal money you spent, will definately sound better than amp/dac upgrade. and the grados are sensitive headphones, so they are very selective on the amp to bring the most out of them.

Dec 21, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 4
Pardon me for thread hi-jacking, but I own the E7/E9 and I really want to get a good set of phones for when I feel like listening to rock. I understand Grados/Allesandros are generally the brand recommeded for that genre. Have any of you tried other phones with the E7/E9 with say Pink Floyd/The Beatles/Rage ATM/Nirvana that sonically sound better than the SR225i or the MS1/MS2 if you own/have used them? Any recommendation of a phone that sounds best with the E7/E9 in that price range for this genre of music? Would that recommendation work better with that genre than my HD650?

I understand the answers I am seeking are very subjective to personal preference but I appreciate a lot of the opinions made on this forum, it has offered me much expertise thus far. Thank you in advance for your input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back