Grado SR225e owner: SR325e vs PS500e vs RS2e - which way to upgrade?
Feb 20, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #166 of 176
What do you think of the cloned G-Cush in terms of comfort and sound? I've been wanting to try some Grados but the price of the authentic G-Cush is putting me off.

comfort is better, and I think for my modded SR-225e the cloned G pads are better sounding as well.  I have only one set of real G pads and I don't use them since they are like the real L pads and the foam is a bit stiffer on the edges and the bass is not as solid.  For the price of a real G pad you can get 5-7 pairs of the clones, they are some very slight differences, density of the foam, how much the driver is recessed (real L pads have about 1.5mm, real G pads 2mm, clone L pads are 2mm, most clone G pads have 2.5mm but some have 3mm)

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #167 of 176
  comfort is better, and I think for my modded SR-225e the cloned G pads are better sounding as well.  I have only one set of real G pads and I don't use them since they are like the real L pads and the foam is a bit stiffer on the edges and the bass is not as solid.  For the price of a real G pad you can get 5-7 pairs of the clones, they are some very slight differences, density of the foam, how much the driver is recessed (real L pads have about 1.5mm, real G pads 2mm, clone L pads are 2mm, most clone G pads have 2.5mm but some have 3mm)

Thanks, that sounds quite promising actually.

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #168 of 176

What do you think of the cloned G-Cush in terms of comfort and sound? I've been wanting to try some Grados but the price of the authentic G-Cush is putting me off.

After listening to the Cloned G-Cush for a week on my RS-2e i conclude that i don't like them .   The driver is too far from my ear which in turn brings out the middles and virtually kills all bass.
Also the thickness of the overall sound has vanished (no meat on the bone).     This was the exact reason i swapped to deluxe flats in the first place ,  to thicken the overall sound.
I guess the saying is true -  Once you have adjusted to flats , there is no going back.

I'm going to try squashing the G-Cush's under a heavy object for a while ,  this should hopefully bring the driver closer to my ears.      But if not then i've lost nothing.
I'm more than happy with the deluxe flats ,  i just wanted to try the G-Cush for curiosity sakes.
Also i don't think the comfort is that great with the G-Cush ,  i found they annoyed me slighty , as they rubbed on my hair on the side of my head.

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #169 of 176

After listening to the Cloned G-Cush for a week on my RS-2e i conclude that i don't like them .   The driver is too far from my ear which in turn brings out the middles and virtually kills all bass.
Also the thickness of the overall sound has vanished (no meat on the bone).     This was the exact reason i swapped to deluxe flats in the first place ,  to thicken the overall sound.
I guess the saying is true -  Once you have adjusted to flats , there is no going back.

I'm going to try squashing the G-Cush's under a heavy object for a while ,  this should hopefully bring the driver closer to my ears.      But if not then i've lost nothing.
I'm more than happy with the deluxe flats ,  i just wanted to try the G-Cush for curiosity sakes.
Also i don't think the comfort is that great with the G-Cush ,  i found they annoyed me slighty , as they rubbed on my hair on the side of my head.

I've had very different results with some clone G pads, pretty much just the opposite from you.

I found that the clone G pads that I like out of the 4 different ones that I tried were better with the sub bass but didn't do much to the mid bass while the Grado L pads boosted the mid bass but there is no sub-bass.  The flats only made it all too bright and also brought the mids too forward and killed what sub-bass is there and also had the worst comfort for me.  If there were only the flats I would never be able to listen for more than a few minutes at a time while the G pad (real or clone) make it quite comfortable for long listening sessions.

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #170 of 176
  I've had very different results with some clone G pads, pretty much just the opposite from you.

I found that the clone G pads that I like out of the 4 different ones that I tried were better with the sub bass but didn't do much to the mid bass while the Grado L pads boosted the mid bass but there is no sub-bass.  The flats only made it all too bright and also brought the mids too forward and killed what sub-bass is there and also had the worst comfort for me.  If there were only the flats I would never be able to listen for more than a few minutes at a time while the G pad (real or clone) make it quite comfortable for long listening sessions.

It's a funny old game this headphone business , amazing how we have concluded polar opposite conclusions.
k701smile.gif

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #171 of 176
To me the 325e is an excellent sounding phone, but for me it absolutely
requires eq to lower the level of the upper treble to sound balanced, comfortable

e.g. a very gentle slope down from 4k to the right....adjusted to taste it is like an 80e
on steroids..

or like a budget RS1 - giving you some of the qualities of the best Grado's in an entry level
(for high-end) headphone.

Clarity, detail are fantastic...
with enough sonic weight for my tastes...worth an audition.

The gently eq'd highs make it sound much more balanced and musical to me - and with the right recordings -
classic and modern pop, jazz - mostly bop and post- bop - they sound superb!

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #172 of 176

Yes i agree , the SR-325e is an incredible headphone ,  i use mine with TTVJ Deluxe Flats ,  and they sound incredible.
The photo is my E.Q that i use with all my HP's ,  and it makes the 325e shine like it should.     The 325e is still my fave. HP.

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #173 of 176

Yes i agree , the SR-325e is an incredible headphone ,  i use mine with TTVJ Deluxe Flats ,  and they sound incredible.
The photo is my E.Q that i use with all my HP's ,  and it makes the 325e shine like it should.     The 325e is still my fave. HP.

I just couldn't get pass the brightness of the 325e, had it for 3 weeks before sending it back.  The highs were just grainy and harsh on the 325e that I had and irritated me easily while other bright headphones like the HD800, HD700 and T1 have highs that are more extended but smooth.  The other thing that I don't like with almost all the new Grado is the weight of the 8 conductor cable that they now use, its so heavy it pulls the headphone off my head.  I ended up with the 225e, did a few mods and love it, even got the RS2e a few weeks later.

That's a lot of cuts in the mids, I would think a different headphone would be better choice if I were doing that much EQ.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #174 of 176
  I just couldn't get pass the brightness of the 325e, had it for 3 weeks before sending it back.  The highs were just grainy and harsh on the 325e that I had and irritated me easily while other bright headphones like the HD800, HD700 and T1 have highs that are more extended but smooth.  The other thing that I don't like with almost all the new Grado is the weight of the 8 conductor cable that they now use, its so heavy it pulls the headphone off my head.  I ended up with the 225e, did a few mods and love it, even got the RS2e a few weeks later.

That's a lot of cuts in the mids, I would think a different headphone would be better choice if I were doing that much EQ.

Nope , this is the E.Q i use for all my headphones.    

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #175 of 176

Nope , this is the E.Q i use for all my headphones.    

Damn that's some wild EQ there, I tried it just now on my lanai system with Stax SRD-34 and a modded SR225i and it was like listening to cheap beats, only bass and rolled of highs with no midrange, but if sounds good to you that's all that matters

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #176 of 176
unusual eq'ing for sure...eq for my SR325e very gently slopes down from 4-18k.....
listening at fairly low levels sounds superb!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back