Grado SR225e owner: SR325e vs PS500e vs RS2e - which way to upgrade?
Apr 24, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #31 of 176
I didn't buy any yet. I hear there is very little difference between the 225 and the 325, as reported in the i-versions. No-one has done an e-version opinion yet, but I guess it's similar. I always found that a little strange though what I understood about the 225 and 325, and re-pasted my thoughts below.

I can understand why someone would think, 'why upgrade one step' from 225e to 325e'? Well the 225 never gained anything higher than four stars. The SR225 with What Hi-Fi was 4/5. The SR225i with Hi-Fi Choice was 4/5 on the box of mine. I landed lucky getting an e-version, but you have to wonder why its roots were not as strong as others. Over the 125, the 225 has better vent and closer matched driver. Yet it seems it can not pull it off, like the 325 always could. Maybe it needs the aluminium to harness the upgrade. The 225e does have that characteristic opened up sound, that everyone talks about. It's an epic and exciting headphone at the 20% discounted price I paid for it. However I pine to see what more detail, clarity, control, (and bass,) would show me.

Basically, going from a good £160 headphone to an excellently regarded £300 headphone seems like a good idea. (Acknowledging not everyone loves the 325e though.)

It's a lot of money for a minor upgrade. However I recently found a media player app with an equaliser to add a little extra at sub bass. I replaced a little of what the 225 misses, and I was impressed. I can't add this across all my audio, eg when gaming. I understand the 325e has more bass over the 225e, so I could fix some of the less sub-bass issue.

The 225i/e I have is a bit of a sticky point. It is good but I can see where it needs more. However I don't feel as urgent to upgrade as I have in the past, so I am quite relaxed about it. It gives other folk plenty of time post their opinions of the headphones too, so that is cool for me. Thank you for you thoughts so far.

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #32 of 176
   Do you really think that Grado would sell a higher-level, more expensive version of the RS2 (the RS1) if it wasn't a better sounding version? 

Uh..yes I do think that. Grado makes fine HPs, but they do it for the revenue. They have nothing to lose. Maybe I'm jaded, or cynical. So be it.  As long as it sounds good. 
L3000.gif

May 10, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #33 of 176
I have also been debating purchasing a higher end model Grado recently, but always have this doubt about what they will sound like, or just how good they will be.  I've been debating the RS2e and the GS1000e, but can't decide if either is worth it, especially without having heard them.

May 10, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #34 of 176
  I have also been debating purchasing a higher end model Grado recently, but always have this doubt about what they will sound like, or just how good they will be.  I've been debating the RS2e and the GS1000e, but can't decide if either is worth it, especially without having heard them.

It's truly difficult to judge because there are no pro-reviews of the RS2e for example. I think the GS1000e is quite rarely reviewed.

The 325e reviews excellently everywhere and is a sure thing. I wrote to What Hi-Fi and asked the to review the 225e and the RS2e. The 225 range has not had any attention for years. The RS2e because it's taking people's interest very much.

No news yet though from them, and I google quite often. Whereas they love the 325e and you can buy blindly or without audition. If they came out and said they loved the RS2e also, it would simplify the issue. As then you only have to make you decision based on how much dosh to spend at this precise moment.

If they endorse a £500 RS2e spend, then all well and good. The reason being that they often elaborate their reviews with fantastic information. They say what you get from the headphone precisely, and I like that. It's this depth that I look for because you can judge the RS2e over the 325e subjectively. Sometimes they make direct comparisons which tells us what you get for the extra cash.

When you consider the 500e again it's not been seen by What Hi-Fi. However they are not the only pro-reviewers in the game. Also there are more Grado fan impressions of the original to PS500 to compare with. (Given you understand the e-generation over the i-generation.) Whereas RS2 impressions are quite rare.

I have come very close a few times to buying the 325e, rather than RS2e or PS500e. I think it may be better to save cash now if I intend to get the PS1000e later. Or just re-think and go all the way to PS1000e now and be done. I think I might struggle with source then and get upgraditis with that, if I buy PS1000e, haha.

My 225i/e are doing a good job as they are though for now. However I am addicted to wanting more clarity and better timbre.

May 10, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #35 of 176

It's truly difficult to judge because there are no pro-reviews of the RS2e for example. I think the GS1000e is quite rarely reviewed.

The 325e reviews excellently everywhere and is a sure thing. I wrote to What Hi-Fi and asked the to review the 225e and the RS2e. The 225 range has not had any attention for years. The RS2e because it's taking people's interest very much.

No news yet though from them, and I google quite often. Whereas they love the 325e and you can buy blindly or without audition. If they came out and said they loved the RS2e also, it would simplify the issue. As then you only have to make you decision based on how much dosh to spend at this precise moment.

If they endorse a £500 RS2e spend, then all well and good. The reason being that they often elaborate their reviews with fantastic information. They say what you get from the headphone precisely, and I like that. It's this depth that I look for because you can judge the RS2e over the 325e subjectively. Sometimes they make direct comparisons which tells us what you get for the extra cash.

When you consider the 500e again it's not been seen by What Hi-Fi. However they are not the only pro-reviewers in the game. Also there are more Grado fan impressions of the original to PS500 to compare with. (Given you understand the e-generation over the i-generation.) Whereas RS2 impressions are quite rare.

I have come very close a few times to buying the 325e, rather than RS2e or PS500e. I think it may be better to save cash now if I intend to get the PS1000e later. Or just re-think and go all the way to PS1000e now and be done. I think I might struggle with source then and get upgraditis with that, if I buy PS1000e, haha.

My 225i/e are doing a good job as they are though for now. However I am addicted to more clarity and better timbre.

It also seems people love different Grados for different reasons.  For example, people love the midrange of the RS2's, but prefer the bass of the 325's.  Or people love the soundstage of the GS1000, but like the warmth of the PS500.  And yet, I always have this nagging suspicion they all sound more similar than different, and not as refined as some other headphones by different companies.

May 10, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #36 of 176
I don't understand why you don't arrange a demo so you can judge for yourself? If travelling / accessibility is a problem perhaps you can agree with a dealer to send demo sets on return postage basis?

Also, I would consider the opinion of a What HiFi journalist, or one from any other similar publication with caution.

May 10, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #37 of 176

Do you really think that Grado would sell a higher-level, more expensive version of the RS2 (the RS1) if it wasn't a better sounding version? 

Uh..yes I do think that. Grado makes fine HPs, but they do it for the revenue. They have nothing to lose. Maybe I'm jaded, or cynical. So be it.  As long as it sounds good. 
L3000.gif

That's not logical on its face and cynicism has nothing to do with it.  Being cynical would imply that they charge much more for a headphone than they should.  Fine.  There may be many other headphone mfrs that do that.  However, believing that they charge much more for a headphone that doesn't sound as good as one of their lower models is self-defeating and a bad business decision.  You want to make money.  The best way to do that is to charge the highest price for the best product you make, period.

May 10, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #38 of 176
L3000.gif

Speculating over the RS1e disaster is like looking for a needle in the haystack. I think they were aiming for a HF1/2 sound. The PS500 seems to be aiming that way too.

The big however, is why did they not stop the change with the RS1e in its tracks. Once they heard the results, (according to RS1e owners,) it should have been clear it would damage their reputation. Their sales also.

I think that they should have kept the original RS1i sized driver and given the e-treatment. It should have had exactly the same enhancements all the other e-headphones had. It could have been the headphone people were buzzing about. The RS1i was meant to have clearly more bass and sweeter mids than the RS2i. Adding e-treatment to that could have produced a masterpiece, with the clearer top of Grado e. 

May 11, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #39 of 176
I bought the RS1i with red drivers (not intending to!) and can confirm the extent of the disaster. I then ordered one of the remaining PS500 (because I was wary of the 'e' series) and I must say that I am very satisfied. It's a quality Grado sound, exactly what I was looking for when I ordered what I thought was going to be an RS1i. Lot's of focus, lot's of timbre and very immediate.

Jun 7, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #40 of 176
@GreenBow, Here are my thoughts on the RS2e and SR-225e as requested, and a little extra....

The RS2e has bass that goes lower and is better defined to me, the mids are slightly recessed compared to SR-225e but this is not easy to notice in all genre of music, the highs are slightly more extended and smoother, they have a nice shimmer while the SR-225e has nice highs it can get harsh to me with some recording.   The sound stage on the RS2e is also wider than the SR-225e but its not quickly noticeable, mostly depends on the genre of music.

I got the SR-225e last year as my first Grado and liked the sound a lot so started doing research like you and came to the conclusion that the RS2e would be the one.  After I got the RS2e I liked it so much that I have never thought about getting a higher end Grado.

All of the above is based on using my UD-301 DAC and Project Ember amp (12AX7 telefunken, mid output resistance/impedance).  Also, I've changed the cables on both to be removable using Hifiman SMC connectors and either Mogami or Cardas cables which I can interchange with the HE-560/400i/400 that I also have.

The little extra .... a little more info in your quest:
I've also built 3 SennGrado's that all have different sounds due to the PX-100ii driver being different and the use of different wood cups (walnut, mahogany, rosewood), the best one (walnut) sounds much better than the RS2e IMO, the bass goes lower with more impact (a lot like TH-600), the mids are just right (like HE-560) that I love female vocals on them and the highs are extended, smooth and never get sibilant almost like my HD-800, the only thing is the sound stage is only average.  The second best (rosewood) is my on the go can which is slightly better than the RS2e due to the better low end, mids and highs about the same as RS2e.  The sound of all three have been tuned a little using dynamat and felt.

I'm not a Grado fan or any brand fan, more of a headphone junkie for now, bought 30+ headphones in the past 2 years.

@GreenBow, hope this provides the info you are looking for.

Time for a beer, its a nice sunny day here in Hawaii.

Jun 8, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #41 of 176
Aha! I recognise your three 225 woody mods from the SR225 thread very recently. You also advised me the 325e can sound a little sibilant compared to the 225e. I am still so confused by that. It's because most folk absolutely love them and think they are the bang for buck champ now. I wondered if it's because they have a small treble hump in different places to each other.

Sorry I didn't remember your username from the 225 thread. I have effectively asked your opinion on that which you described already. However you did mention new stuff that I was keen to hear.

I have been so close though to buying the 325e so many times. Extra special thank you then to you, for double effort. You're very cool and kind. Hawaii sounds like happy days.

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #42 of 176
  Aha! I recognise your three 225 woody mods from the SR225 thread very recently. You also advised me the 325e can sound a little sibilant compared to the 225e. I am still so confused by that. It's because most folk absolutely love them and think they are the bang for buck champ now. I wondered if it's because they have a small treble hump in different places to each other.

Sorry I didn't remember your username from the 225 thread. I have effectively asked your opinion on that which you described already. However you did mention new stuff that I was keen to hear.

I have been so close though to buying the 325e so many times. Extra special thank you then to you, for double effort. You're very cool and kind. Hawaii sounds like happy days.

I don't think it was me that advised on the 325e but having heard it the 225e was better sounding to me.  It I were looking now with the knowledge that I have gotten I wouldn't buy any Grado when the SennGrado's are cheaper to build and sound much better.  Look at it this way, the RS2e is about $500, for that you can get 3 wood cups @ $80/each, 3 PX-100ii drivers @ $40/each, 3 nice headbands @ $30/each and $50 for cables and jacks.  Also you will be able to tune the sound to your liking with dynamat or felt and gain the knowledge of how different mods change the sound.  The build is not difficult and only takes about 30 minutes to an hour once you have all the parts, finding the wood cups is the hardest part but if you go to the senngrado thread there are links to help you along.

Good luck, David A

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #43 of 176
Yep, thank you, I need a little luck, so good luck to you too.

This was you comment about the 325e: "I didn't like the SR-325e either, way to bright and sibilant most of the time, sent it back to Amazon after 1 week and got the SR-225e."

It took me by surprise and came straight out of left field. I have heard some say the 325 is a little bright, but the e-series being tamed, I figured it better. However I am happy with the top end on the 225e. A little more, and or more clarity would be fine.

I have read before great things about the SennGrado, but I do not have the confidence to try. If I read the thread you suggest I may do, but I am really worried about it. However it's great that you posted you ideas of modding here. If you search online for 500e, RS2e, 325e, 'versus (vs)' in any combination you see this thread. Therefore other folk looking will find your info on modding.

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #44 of 176
  Yep, thank you, I need a little luck, so good luck to you too.

This was you comment about the 325e: "I didn't like the SR-325e either, way to bright and sibilant most of the time, sent it back to Amazon after 1 week and got the SR-225e."

It took me by surprise and came straight out of left field. I have heard some say the 325 is a little bright, but the e-series being tamed, I figured it better. However I am happy with the top end on the 225e. A little more, and or more clarity would be fine.

I have read before great things about the SennGrado, but I do not have the confidence to try. If I read the thread you suggest I may do, but I am really worried about it. However it's great that you posted you ideas of modding here. If you search online for 500e, RS2e, 325e, 'versus (vs)' in any combination you see this thread. Therefore other folk looking will find your info on modding.

Forgot about that comment, been doing a lot of other stuff at home since I'm moving to a new condo in a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back