Grado SR225 too bright? What is a better complement?
Jul 15, 2015 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

itsZENmusic

New Head-Fier
The Grado SR225e (modded with the yellow senn pads) was my first "audiophile" purchase (I also own sennheiser momentum over ear).  I really enjoy the openness of the sound and its wide sound stage.  However, it hurts to listen for extended periods of time due to how bright the sound signature is - gets really metallic and harsh for my ears; when I take them off after listening for 1.5hrs+ I feel relief from what feels to me to be overstimulation.  It has nothing to do with comfort, which has been fine ever since I changed the pads.  Although, it should be noted I haven't used an amp with my Grados, not sure if that's an issue regarding the brightness.

So I'm feeling a new purchase on the horizon, and I was wondering what the best complement to the Grado SR225e is.  I plan to still use the Grados, but I will probably use the new ones more.  I listen to all types of music (rock, rap, pop, voice, classical, EDM)

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #4 of 5
  Sorry there is nothing like a Grado except another Grado or an Alessandro.  The Alessandros based on the "i" Grados were not as bright.  I have not yet heard one based on the new "e" versions.

I'm not looking for another Grado sounding headphone- rather I'm looking for something with a different sound signature.  

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 5
AKG K7XX. Learn more here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/743280/the-akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-thread. However, you do need a headphone amp to use with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back