Grado SR225 Thoughts And Review
Jun 22, 2018 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

s1mp13m4n

New Head-Fier
I want to say up front that I do not own any major high end gear. What I do have is budget but quality gear, nothing too special really. I was in a local thrift shop and found a broken set of Grado SR225 headphones. I bought them very cheap. I contacted Grado and I was told that they would repair them for $60. I sent the SR225 headphones to Grado for the repair. When I got them back they had replaced both drivers and replaced the cord. The old cord had a 1/4 plug on it. The new cord has a 1/8 plug and is thicker. I also came across a headphone amp USB DAC at the same thrift shop. The amp is a Headroom Total Bithead. I was not totally sure what it was but I do know that it is no longer made and compared to newer DACs…..the chip is out of date.

I kept reading about how Grado headphones have this certain sound. People either love it or hate it. I did not know what the Grado sound was and did not find out much about it or what the phrase meant. Here is my non-professional thoughts and review of the Grado SR225 headphone.

These headphones are amazing depending on what type of music you feed them. I read about terms such as soundstage, depth, and tonal quality……and you know what, I really do not care. LOL I do not care about how well these headphones look on a graph or to some sort of computer modeling software. All that matters to me with these headphones is how they sound. My understanding about soundstage would be the ability of the headphones to allow me to sense depth and how far away that I am from the music. Soundstage?, with these headphones you are on the stage. I listened to many different bands and a few music styles. I used the Headroom Total Bithead to power the headphones. I also used iTunes with Apple lossless music files and no EQ. I tried rock, classical, rap, car audio bass music, remixes, dubstep, bluegrass, and others.

I love these headphones. They are “in your face”. This is the only set of headphones (remember I have not owned high quality headphones) that made me want to dance in the chair. Whatever it was that the headphones were delivering…..I just wanted more of it. The downside of these headphones is that they are in no way a relaxing headphone. You are not going to sit back, relax with some soft music and sip on a glass of wine. To me these headphones remind me of slamming an energy drink. These headphones made me feel emotional. Emotions from goose bumps, weeping, wanting to dance, and just pump my fist in the air.

While I have never owned high quality headphones, I have heard a few that some would consider decent or just over priced junk. Bose and Beats are junk to my ears compared with the Grado SR225. I have listened to the Sony MDRV6 and the Audio Technician M50. While they are great headphones in their own right, neither of them move me like the Grado SR225. Needless to say, I am very happy with them. I understand now why people either love or hate Grado headphones.

Jun 22, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 4
I started with Grado SR60's, 15 or so years ago. Then I bought SR80i's when they came out. I started gaming again and got a "gaming headset" and moved most of my listening to my living room 2ch system. Last year I started listening again on my computer and started buying and trying headphones again. Well, I am back to Grado and picked up a new pair of SR325e's. Honestly, I should have bought the SR225e's, but was sold on the better headband and aluminum cups. I tried Audeze, Mr Speakers, Senns, HiFiMan etc., but they all had something missing.

I know Grados are not everyones cup of tea, but I love the sound. And that is all that matters.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back