Grado SR225- Repair vs Upgrade
Jan 12, 2021 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Bill G

New Head-Fier
I'd appreciate some opinions on this. I have a pair of Grado SR225's that need repair (audio is cutting out in one earcup). Of course, I can send them to Brooklyn for repair (I'm in Los Angeles), but I'd like some thoughts on the sonic differences (if any) between my model and the current version, the SR225e. Would it be a significant upgrade to invest in the current model? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 5
The major sonic change to almost all of the Grado headphones is entirely dictated by the earcup shape and pads. I went from the SR-60 all the way to the RS1 and the only difference I ever heard was when I swapped pads around. The more expensive headphones provide wood finishes and better channel matching in driver selection, but you can dig around and find the measurements of all sorts of Grados. What you will discover is they are almost always identical in sound signature unless the pads are different. So, with that being said, I would say go with the SR-80e and make sure you receive the cushion pads or better yet go for the Sennheiser HD 424 replacement pads. They may be yellow, but they add a little more low end the Grado lineup.

I didn't think my upgrades were worth it.

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 5
I'd appreciate some opinions on this. I have a pair of Grado SR225's that need repair (audio is cutting out in one earcup). Of course, I can send them to Brooklyn for repair (I'm in Los Angeles), but I'd like some thoughts on the sonic differences (if any) between my model and the current version, the SR225e. Would it be a significant upgrade to invest in the current model? Thanks in advance for your help.
I'd rule out a bad phono plug (a common problem with older Grados) before sending it back to NY. I replaced my 325's plug a year or so ago, for exactly the same symptom.

If you're not up to soldering, it's an easy 5 minute procedure for any electrical repair shop. I'm a fan of Nutrik (https://www.amazon.com/Neutrik-NP3X...s=neutrik+1/4+plug&qid=1610559624&sr=8-3&th=1), but there's other good brands. It's probably a good idea to purchase your plug, and bring it with you to the repair shop, avoiding a cheaper plug they may have on hand.

Jan 14, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 5
I'd rule out a bad phono plug (a common problem with older Grados) before sending it back to NY. I replaced my 325's plug a year or so ago, for exactly the same symptom.

If you're not up to soldering, it's an easy 5 minute procedure for any electrical repair shop. I'm a fan of Nutrik (https://www.amazon.com/Neutrik-NP3X-3-Cond-4-Inch-Phone/dp/B002BESBHW/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=neutrik+1/4+plug&qid=1610559624&sr=8-3&th=1), but there's other good brands. It's probably a good idea to purchase your plug, and bring it with you to the repair shop, avoiding a cheaper plug they may have on hand.

I considered that, but the cable is definitely loose where it enters the right earcup. I have secured the cable with tape there to solve the problem temporarily.

Jan 31, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 5
I've had two pair of Grado SR80s, and my brother has a pair of $1000 Grados (PS1000). In my comparisons, the sound difference did not justify the price difference at all.

If I were you, I'd get yours repaired and try a few different cups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back