Grado SR225 Repair Help
Nov 27, 2014 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

s1mp13m4n

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. My wife and I are going through our storage unit trying to clean it out and get from under the payment. Well today we found my Grado SR225 headphones. In a nylon pouch were the headphones, two Grado extension cables, the Grado 1/4 to 1/8 adapter, and a bunch of powder where the ear pads use to be. They were bought new in the late 90s and have been in storage for 8 years. I am out of town so all I have to try them to see if they work is my iPod touch. They do play and sound fine, but the left driver cuts in and out if you move the cable at the ear cap. Should I repair them? How do I fix them? How much would repair cost if the work is done for me?

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 2
Replacement pads are readily available, and Grado should be able to re-solder the cable to the driver (provided the solder tab hasn't parted company with the driver).

If you want to do the job yourself, I would suggest upgrading to wooden earcups, as you will probably damage the existing plastic ones in the process of opening them.

Alternatively, investigate Yew Woodworks on Etsy: they will fit the cups for free if you order them there (and will need to desolder and re-solder all connections anyway). Prices vary according to the wood used.

With the wooden cups, the SR225s are a very competitive pair of cans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back