Grado SR225 or Sennheiser HD595
Oct 20, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree - I think the HD595s are better for rock than the SR225s, unless of course you are listening to really bass-guitar heavy rock. I consider Radiohead, Blur, The Cure as rock bands, and those three bands would be massacred by the SR225s. On the other hand, Tool and A Perfect Circle would be much better on the 225s.

Haven't heard HD595s but to say SR225s "massacre" Radiohead is a bit of a stretch. OK Computer sounds awesome on 225s, as do the rest of their albums. It gives them a warm forward sound and solid liquid bass, all of the Grado's strong points. Blur might be a bit bright, not a huge blur fan. The Cure might sound kind of thin I guess, but in no way would I agree that SR225s massacre Radiohead.

BTW, how do you like "In Rainbows" ?

P.S. If you decide to go 225, TTVJ has a good price on them. Just a heads up. You can get a few more percent off if you opt to sign up for the newsletter. Have them email you a quote then use the link from that.

Oct 20, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by leng jai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you listen to everything I think the hD595s are more versatile. Grado's don't really work that well with Jazz and classical.

Sorry, was that intended as a joke? If so, I really didn't catch it.

I think SR225 tops all <$200 cans I've heard in sound reproduction, the only negative thing about them is comfort. The Grado cans won't even touch the HD595 in comfort but sound-wise, I'd say they are equal to my Silver Dragon recabled HD600, but just different. They have much more presence in the music.

The Sennheiser cans I've heard have generally been very laid back and sometimes even veiled (unamped stock HD600 to name one). Grados are more forward in their presentation and overall have a much warmer, involving sound than Sennheisers.

For your musical taste, I really don't see any other option than getting SR225. TTVJ has great deals on Grado cans and he also has a 30-day return policy on headphones (if I remember correctly) if you don't like the sound.

Oct 20, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #18 of 30
Warmer than Sennheiser? Pah, you need to reexamine your use of audio terminology.
wink.gif

And I have to agree, Grados aren't very good for classical. They great for jazz though. Between the 595 in and the SR225, I'd probably take the 225s. Perhaps it's just a perception I have, but the 595s really seem like a lower-end compromise product than something like the 600 or 650. The 225s on the other hand are definitely good quality, even if they weren't to my liking when I had them.

Oct 20, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by seanp2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, how do you like "In Rainbows" ?

I like in Rainbows, BUT i have it off their site at 160KBPS and it sounds very mediocre.....
I'm leaning heavily towards another pair of Grado's instead of Sennheisers.
What really confused me was that I expected a really big difference in sound between the HD595 and the SR60, like when I compared the SR60's to any older headphone I had, and that effect just wasn't there.
Maybe I'll have a final listen over the week at my friends and order.
As for TTVJ, that's where I bought the SR60s, and I'll be more than happy to shop there again (although Sennheiser wise he's pricier than Headphone.com).

Oct 20, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #21 of 30
Grados suck, they have no soundstage. Dont waste the money, just go with the HD595. You will love your music with them.
For all of those saying Grado, or who think that the 225s are as good, then w.e. To me, the Grado line doesnt start till the RS1.

Oct 21, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Warmer than Sennheiser? Pah, you need to reexamine your use of audio terminology.
wink.gif

The SR60 & SR225 are warmer than the HD595.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados suck, they have no soundstage. Dont waste the money, just go with the HD595. You will love your music with them.
For all of those saying Grado, or who think that the 225s are as good, then w.e. To me, the Grado line doesnt start till the RS1.

Since we're getting bold with statements, let me recommended to the OP - ignore the above five sentences, though he/she happens to be right about the soundstage.

But as others have said, the HD595 are better all-arounders. I'd even say better for rock, if you look at the whole genre. I had pairs of SR225 and HHF1s, and they just didn't get much use.

Oct 21, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #25 of 30
I have grado sr80s and sen 595's and I much prefer the grados, the sens are a bit more open sounding but almost muffled compared to the grados, I like the sens for video games and long listening things like movies but for music the grados are leaps and bounds ahead.

I don't understand how people say they prefer the sens for classical, I listen to a lot of classical and I much much prefer the grados, the placement of the instruments is so much better and everything sounds clear and pure. only problem is they are very demanding of the source material, and you'll often hear things like page turns if you get a bad recording.

I was really excited about my sens when they came in but after long listening to them and my grados, they almost seem like a waste, if they weren't so comfy I'd get rid of them.

Oct 21, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It might be a bit narrow minded, but I think everybody should have at least one Grado and one Senn!

Yeah!

I don't have either and doing just fine. =]

Oct 21, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

The SR60 & SR225 are warmer than the HD595.

I really don't think so. They both have significantly more treble than the 595. If this is "warm" then somewhere a reversal of terminology must have occured.

Oct 21, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #28 of 30
Unamped I preferred my 225s over my 595s. The 595s I had were the 120 Ohm version though and sounded completely lifeless unamped.

Overall I think the 595 is the better headphone. It is just as detailed (though not as upfront) has better soundstage and comfort and is generally a better all-rounder in that it works pretty well with just about every genre.

That said there are a variety of pad options for the Grados that can help tune the sound/comfort more to your liking. For example: flats can help with the harshness and to some extent the comfort though, for me, they add a bit too much bass and are a little muddier (overall though, for most music, I strongly prefer flats to bowls).

Ant

Oct 21, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #29 of 30
SR225's are the least Grado-like Grados. The same is with the HD595's. Wanna Sennheiser's veil? Look elsewhere, maybe towards HD600. So arguing about Grados vs. Senneheiser considering these two headphones is kind of funny.
IMHO SR225's will be better for classical than HD595's but for rock and metal - HD595's win all the way. SR225's are too thin sounding. I'm expecting more energy from such kind of music. When it comes to pop or electronica Grados get their butt kicked. So, just one pair of headphones must be universal, unless you want to remain in one or two music regions till next upgrade.

Oct 21, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #30 of 30
I think I'm going with HD595 for a couple of reasons:
1)They seem to be able to cover a more versatile spectrum of genres of music (according to 99% of posters here, and what I've heard on my not sos level Grado-SH comparison)
2) I already have a pair of Grado's and getting different kinds of Phones from different companies sounds like a good Idea
3) I think I've taken too long too think about this, if it turns out badly I'll just sell 'em or trade them in

Thanks to everyone for their input! it really helped!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back