Grado SR225: Has anyone had the same impressions as me
Oct 27, 2009 at 7:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Hifihedgehog

500+ Head-Fier
Not to confuse everyone, but there was less treble extension on my burned-in SR225s compared to my burned-in HD555s. People told me that the SR225 would have sharp fast treble, so much so that it can hurt ears. Not so for me. In fact, I've had that problem more with my ears with HD555s from their treble extension with songs like "Billy Jean" by M.J. and "Just You 'N' Me" by Chicago.

On the SR225, there is very slight of brightness in the low treble/upper mids that sort of focuses the guitars, but it's definitely not extended. Of all the Grados, it's the one I'd most likely recommend, though, since the SR125/SR325i each have added treble treble with a noticeable mid/lower treble coloration.

Anyone with the same impressions as me?

Oct 27, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #2 of 11
I never compared the treble extension on the SR225 and the HD555s. But The HD555 definitely is nicer sounding than even the SR225 "i" version (which should be better than the non "i")

Lower end Grado has a very bright and harsh treble that tricks people into thinking they're detailed. It's weird that the high end HP1000 and HF2 that everyone seems to love somewhat ditched that bright treble of the lower end Grados.

Sennheiser HD555 is a really good headphone for its price, and I'd take it over even the SR325i. But Sennheiser is a household name, while Grado has a certain cult status that elevates it above its actual sound quality.

Ah, I see your sig. Great, looks like you're not buying into the Grado hype like I initially did.

Oct 27, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 11
It really all depends on what you hook them up to. I have the 225s and have owned the HD 555 gave them to my son he loves them. I like the 225s if paired with the right equipment i see no contest between the two. This is just my thought you may have another and i am sure you do. The thing I like about headfi is we can all be right in our own set up. I have a SLIGHTY modded set of 225s and they are by far the best grados I have listned to and one of the best headphones I have listened to period. But i must stress I taylor my set up to get the best out of the headphones i have. So many of you guys just listen to a headphone and decide it is crap and dont see that it is just in a set up that does not work well with that headphone.

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 11
Grados are very, very well known to have poor extension to the extremes of the frequency range. The reason to buy Grados is for the sound signature -- how they position instruments and vocals, how they handle different sounds. In that case, I love my Grados. Should I be looking for supreme accuracy and a flat-ish (
wink.gif
) response I put on my 650s instead.

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 11
The 225/i's are more tonal and accurate than the lower-end Grados. When I first got mine (I came from the 80i's), I was shocked with how dark they were in comparison.

Grados are very bright, and that's the way I like it. Also, let us not forget that the source and amp that we use with our headphones makes a huge difference. For example my setup is:

Cowon D2 -> Little Dot 2++ -> Grado SR225i.

Your's is probably different. That's why you should experiment with different equipment before deciding you dislike something.

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonichedgehog360 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to confuse everyone, but there was less treble extension on my burned-in SR225s compared to my burned-in HD555s. People told me that the SR225 would have sharp fast treble, so much so that it can hurt ears. Not so for me. In fact, I've had that problem more with my ears with HD555s from their treble extension with songs like "Billy Jean" by M.J. and "Just You 'N' Me" by Chicago.

On the SR225, there is very slight of brightness in the low treble/upper mids that sort of focuses the guitars, but it's definitely not extended. Of all the Grados, it's the one I'd most likely recommend, though, since the SR125/SR325i each have added treble treble with a noticeable mid/lower treble coloration.

Anyone with the same impressions as me?

Everyone who pays attention on the headphones abilities, yes. Grado's dont have particularly extended treble, particularly SR225 I believe. Its just quite spiky giving the impression of bright sound, and it has also spikes in the "presence" region, upper midrange making it sound very exciting especially with guitars. It will also make cymbals clash hard, but due to lack of treble extension they do not really "shimmer" that much.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 11
Yeah... my teenage ears just can't handle being without shimmer. On the top of my priority list for a headphone is shimmer, then mid voicing. The SR225i marginally did mids better than the HD555, but then lost out everywhere else. The SR225i is my favorite Grado, but it's still not my favorite headphone. It does do some cool midrange stuff, but I can't live with great midrange with a mediocre treble. It just seems incoherent to my ears.

Anyway, thanks for the opinions!

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 11
I find the bass on the SR225 much better than on the HD555, even with 125+ hours burn in.

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the bass on the SR225 much better than on the HD555, even with 125+ hours burn in.

My Grado SR80s have better bass than the Senn 555s.

*runs away before someone from the other Grado bass thread tracks him here*
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 11
Yeah, I do have to say that the bass is awesomely fast on the SR80/SR225. I don't understand why people complain about the lack of deep bass on the Grados. It's not like you really hear deep bass, anyway. I guess some like to have an ear massage (or "BOOM!" if you're talking about the DT770-80s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back