Grado sr225 - Buzz @ 160hz
Apr 27, 2012 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

vanfrosty

New Head-Fier
I've babied these headphones since I bought them in 2008, and I only pull them out a couple times a month when I want to really hear to the intricacies of a recording.

I was mortified this morning as I was listening to the new Patrick Watson album, when some of the lows made a rattling buzz in my right ear.

I found a tone generator app, and sure enough, at at 160hz, a pronounced buzz appeared, that mostly disappears when I tilt my head to the right. I shook and shook the right cup, hoping that something would fall out of the grille, but no such luck.

I called Grado, and they said that they'll fix 'em for forty bucks - I'm a desperately poor student so that money hurts, but I will probably do it at some point if there's no hope of fixing it.

Does anyone have any experience with a problem like this? Any suggestions?

Additional details: rotating the headphones so that the head band is under my chin does not do anything to the buzz.

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 3
Could be the famous Grado "grattle"? Often times with Grados, a buzz is caused by a hair that got through the screen and made its way onto the driver. Maybe try spraying with an air canister. Otherwise try opening up the cups by using a hair dryer to warm the glue and then pulling the cup apart.

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #3 of 3
My hopes were set low, but I'll be damned if a little compressed air didn't clear the buzz right up.

Thanks for saving me forty bucks and all sorts of frustration Questhate.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back