Grado SR125i for jazz - quick impressions
Feb 28, 2009 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

nycbone

100+ Head-Fier
I ordered the SR125i from TTVJ late Wed. They were shipped directly from Grado (about 30 min from my home) and I received them on Fri afternoon. A 1/4" to 1/8" adapter cable that I ordered was also supposed to be shipped from Grado, but was left out of the package (TTVJ was apologetic and will send one on Mon - not a big deal). This was my 1st purchase from TTVJ, so I received the $10 discount (total ~$157).

I listen to modern (1949 and later) jazz ~95% of the time, with 80's punk, live Grateful Dead and some other oldie (i.e., 'classic') rock thrown in the mix.

Prior to this purchase, my primary headphone has been the SR60.

The SR125i have been connected to a running iPod classic 120 (Apple lossless) --> LOD --> Headroom Micro Amp since they were delivered. I'm using a Radio Shack adapter until the Grado cable arrives.

After ~20 hours of burn-in:
I was looking for better bass response than the SR60, which I find to be a bit muddy. Bass instruments are well-defined and musical with the SR125i, but not at all boomy - just what I was looking for. I'm definitely not a bass head. Charles Mingus' Mingus Ah Um is much-improved.

Higher frequency (particularly brass) instruments are also better-defined than with the SR60 as is the sound stage. One of my favorite recent recordings is Conrad Herwig's The Latin Side of Wayne Shorter with Herwig on Trombone and Brian Lynch on trumpet. This is an superb live recording and it sounded quite good with the SR60s. It's even better with the SR125i - I feel like I'm at the show! Even older Blue Note recordings (Rudy Van Gelder remastered versions - some of which have stereo separation issues) have an improved soundstage with the SR125i. Many of these recordings are difficult to listen to with the SR60. They are a notch above passable with the SR125i.

The SR125i is quite comfortable (as is the SR60). Build quality is similar, although the exterior covering of the cable was double-crimped just above the y-connector, as though the assembler missed the first time and then reattached the cover. It's not a huge deal, but I probably wouldn't have let this pair out of the shop without a new covering. A minor gripe. The thicker cable is a bit shorter (which I appreciate) and far less unwieldly. I like it. The Grado box is labeled 'SR125i.'

At the moment, I'm happy with the SR125i. I choose this model over the SR225i since it comes with the comfy pads and I have comfort issues with the bowl pads that I've tried.

They are definitely a major step-up from the SR60, have a much-improved version of the Grado sound that I enjoy and they fit my current budget.

The SR60 is a decent jazz headphone. The SR125i is a very good jazz headphone. I plan to stick with it.
smile_phones.gif

YMMV.

Mar 1, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 17
Thanks, man! We've been waiting for impressions of the new Grado lineup for days!
smily_headphones1.gif

The SR125i was previously considered as overly bright, with more treble than the SR80s without the bass that the SR225s have (cmiiw, I'm not sure that the SR225 indeed have more bass than their lower siblings). Is this still the case?

I am secretly (well, not anymore
biggrin.gif
) hoping that the SR125 will improve and can compete with the other lineup, perhaps even being the new best bang for the buck. According to your impressions, is this possible?

Keep us posted, nycbone. I would love to hear your impressions during and after the burn in
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 17
you considered quarter modding your comfies? I did on my SR60i's and middle and upper range clarity is greatly improved.

Mar 1, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 17
Oh wow, I thought this was a typo at first...thought they had discontinued the 125(i) during the "upgrading" process.

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 17
are there any ohter headphones that are considered to be good for Jazz? especially with piano? I want to feel Evans....

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 17
After ~36 hours of burn-in:
There is subtle, but noticeable improvement in drums and percussion, with a bit more detail than the SR60. The drum work (Philly Joe Jones, I think) on Blue Train sounds terrific, particularly the opening to Locomotion. I'll listen to some piano-centric recordings today.

I never modded the SR60 thinking that I may sell them, but I'll probably hang onto them and try a few mods (change/shorten the cable for one thing).

For what it's worth, I definitely feel like I've gotten my $'s worth with the SR125i.

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #7 of 17
After ~48 hours of burn-in:
I spent some time with Jeff Beck Group (the album with Ice Cream Cakes - not sure if it has another name) and it there are subtle details that aren't quite there with the SR60.

I haven't had a chance to listen to piano-centric jazz, but will soon.

The SR125i is a worthy upgrade from the SR60. Is it twice as good, given the $150 vs. $70 price tag (what I paid for the SR60)? No. Is it $80 better? Yes. If that makes any sense...

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 17
The Grado website states that "Theses [sic] headphones have balance and character similar to the RS1i headphones."

I don't think the old SR125 would qualify as "having balance and character similar to the RS1", so if the above statement is true, Grado has indeed significantly changed the SR125.

How do you find the balance and character of the SR125i, nycbone? Give us some more good news!
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sadhanaputra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grado website states that "Theses [sic] headphones have balance and character similar to the RS1i headphones."

I don't think the old SR125 would qualify as "having balance and character similar to the RS1", so if the above statement is true, Grado has indeed significantly changed the SR125.

How do you find the balance and character of the SR125i, nycbone? Give us some more good news!
wink.gif

Or, you know, that summary is there for the sake of marketing techniques.

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well Johna Grado is certainly the master of Marketing.

Grats on the new SR125i to the OP though.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Which is exactly the reason I asked for nycbone's firsthand opinion on that matter
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well Johna Grado is certainly the master of Marketing.

Grats on the new SR125i to the OP though.

Really? Master of marketing? How did you come to that conclusion, mbd2884?
Has there been numerous false claims surrounding Grado products?

I want to know just how trustworthy the words in the Grado website are.

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

wink.gif

If 'balance' means balanced across the frequency spectrum - nothing stands out or seems to be missing to my ears, taste in music and experience. I guess it's balanced.

I've been told that I'm not a good judge of character.
redface.gif

I tried the SR125i with a few new LPs that I purchased this week:
AR-XA/Grado Blue --> Hafler DH-101 --> PA2V2

Taj Mahal's The Real Thing (a live album featuring the Gravity tuba section) sounds terrific with (again) more detail than the SR60.

My 'reference' recording for oldies rock is Warren Zevon's Excitable Boy (which is an excellent recording that I know note-for-note and listen to regularly on CD).

It's better on vinyl and it's better with the SR125i on vinyl or CD.

I'm not entirely happy with the Grado Blue, so SQ should improve with a suitable replacement.

re: Brighten - "Nice impressions. Wait till you move further up the line!"
Thanks, but I think this is it for me for now. The SR125i suits my needs quite well and I'm going to save my $ for recordings.

Mar 7, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #14 of 17
It seems that the SR125i has finally get rid of the "too bright, too bright" complaint..

Thank you very much, nycbone!
Rock out with your Grados out!
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

It seems that the SR125i has finally get rid of the "too bright, too bright" complaint..

Thank you very much, nycbone!
Rock out with your Grados out!
biggrin.gif

Not too bright to my ears. I spent some time with the SR60 yesterday and it's not bright enough (at least in stock form).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back