grado sr125 with juli@
May 1, 2008 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

whitemonkey

New Head-Fier
Hi to all the members of this forum, I'm pretty new to the headphones business and I have a question.

To my understanding my audio card, esi juli@ doesnt have an amplified output, so what I did was to connect the output of the juli@ sound card to my onboard HD realtek input jack, now the headphones are connected to the realtek's output jack, this way I managed to amplify the sound a bit, my question is, will the grado sr125 benefit from a dedicated headphones amp? will I notice any improvment in sound quality?

Does anyone have an experience with the grado sr125 with an amp and without?

Thanks in advance to those who will answer

May 1, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm afraid that configuration doesn't help much, if any. I might even suspect that the onboard audio chip first converts your input to digital and then converts it back to analog. Double bad sound.

A headphone amp will provide better sound! Or you could get a 2xRCA -> 3.5mm adapter and plug phones directly to the Juli@. I believe they will have decent volume, if it doesn't happen to be a very thirsty pair of cans.

May 2, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 4
i've tried to connect the sr125 directly to the juli@ sound card, the volume is decent, but i was thinking perhaps an amp can make the sound fuller and have more dimension to it, what are your thoughts? any experience with the sr125 with or without an amp?

May 2, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 4
Whitemonkey,

I've had my 125s going on about 3 years now. To my ears, they sound much better when properly amped. Without an amp or with a SS amp (Mr. X XP) I often found they were fatiguing--a common complaint. However, I recently purchased a Little Dot MKIII tube amp and the difference is night and day. At first I thought I might have built up a tolerence, but a quick switch of amps confirms that the tubes really do make a marked difference in my case. I can wear them as long as I want and listen at much higher volumes if I choose to.
I'm also using a copper interconnect these days. Not sure if that makes a huge difference, but some say the silverd add to the brightness. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back