That red & black Mad Ear is "sexy"

I'm missing mine now 
frown.gif
. Should never sold this amp.

I hear you....it is a wonderful amp

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #17 of 28
  Any updates on sr125e vs sr225i? And what pads are the final winner? :D

Hey Don,

Could not do anything with extended listening between the two, due to working lots of hours.  Will definitely get something going after the weekend.

The pads, oh boy.  The bowls are not good on the ears after an hour for me.  Spent some time with the g-cush and like 'em.  Quarter modded s-cush, HD414 and g-cush for now.  Might order a pair of flats.
biggrin.gif

That red & black Mad Ear is "sexy"

beerchug.gif

Jul 29, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #19 of 28
Also what is your take on the stock comfy pads vs stock hd414 pads. What do the yellow pads change in the tonality vs the comfy pads?

Aug 5, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #20 of 28
Congratz MM!

That is a never ending cycle with the Grado ladder.  The 'what if' factor.  I went SR60 -> SR225 -> RS2 -> RS1i and still own them all.  But I always wondered about the SR125.  Where did it really fit in?  In terms of tonality and overall presentation.  Was it the aggressive / harsh one etc. etc......

Years went by and when the 'e' series came out, I finally said 'it's time for the SR125'.

I have not been disappointed one bit.

Haha.  Let's hope so!!!!!

Thank you so much. Rigth now Im enjoying good jazz fusion stuf with S cushion quarter mod. :D

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #24 of 28
Just unboxed a brand new SR125e. Had high expectations.

Connected them to the headphone output of a Yamaha RX496 stereo receiver. My initial reaction is massive disappointment, primarily due to a VERY peaky midrange response. Applying a 5 dB cut at 1 KHz seems to tame it, but I am curious if this is something I can expect to work itself out with break-in or if others have experienced similar issues with their SR125e's.

My available references are AKG K240 Studio and Fostex T20RP-mk3.

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #25 of 28
I've had my SR125e for at least 1.5 years, they are peaky in the high end but not at 1KHz. The first peak I can hear is at 2KHz and they are very flat below that. Here's an EQ curve I made by ear which mostly flattens the peaks. I'm certainly not the best EQer around, but it looks similar to the innerfidelity graph of the SR125i inverted so I don't think it could be too far off.

I got them new but I have no idea if there was any change or break in period.

Jan 28, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #26 of 28
  I've had my SR125e for at least 1.5 years, they are peaky in the high end but not at 1KHz. The first peak I can hear is at 2KHz and they are very flat below that. Here's an EQ curve I made by ear which mostly flattens the peaks. I'm certainly not the best EQer around, but it looks similar to the innerfidelity graph of the SR125i inverted so I don't think it could be too far off.

I got them new but I have no idea if there was any change or break in period.

Thank you for that EQ data. I will try that and see if it does a better job. I was really expecting a more neutral, balanced freq. response. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #27 of 28

Thank you for that EQ data. I will try that and see if it does a better job. I was really expecting a more neutral, balanced freq. response. 

Hi.  Prestige Grados are not neutral.  They are a classic rock headphones.  You would be happy with HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back